Children around the United States are expected to honor Father’s Day 2015, a holiday that’s all about making dads feel like the everyday heroes that they are. Father’s Day was first declared in the U.S. 105 years ago, in 1910, to recognize the bonds between dads and their kids. It falls on the third Sunday of every June.
While not a federal holiday, many restaurants offer Father’s Day deals and specials for families looking to celebrate by eating out. Father’s Day traditions range from card-giving to sentimental phone calls and gift-giving. Popular gifts include ties, electronics and outdoor cooking supplies – all the makings of a modern man.
Father’s Day as an American tradition had a rocky start. While its maternal equivalent, Mother’s Day, quickly became a major commercial holiday, Father’s Day was not met with the same enthusiasm, in part because it wasn’t as profitable. “Fathers haven’t the same sentimental appeal that mothers have,” one florist explained, according to History.com.
For many Americans the day has parallels to their relationship with God in Christianity. Many Christians regard their faith in God as being like an earthly father-son or father-daughter relationship, with God often considered their true, heavenly Father.
Here are 15 bible verses about fatherhood and parenting to share with dads on Father’s Day.
1. “My son, do not despise the LORD’s discipline or be weary of his reproof, for the LORD reproves him whom he loves, as a father the son in whom he delights.” -- Proverbs 3:11
2. “The righteous who walks in his integrity—blessed are his children after him!” -- Proverbs 20:7
3. “Sons are a heritage from the LORD, children a reward from him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their enemies in the gate.” -- Psalms 127:3-5
4. “Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.” -- Ephesians 6:4
5. "He will turn the hearts of the parents to their children, and the hearts of the children to their parents; or else I will come and strike the land with total destruction." -- Malachi 4:6
6. "The father of a righteous child has great joy; a man who fathers a wise son rejoices in him." -- Proverbs 23:24
7. “I know, my God, that you test the heart and are pleased with integrity.” -- 1 Chronicles 29:17
8. “As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him.” – Psalm 103:13
9. “And call no man your father on earth, for you have one Father, who is in heaven.” -- Matthew 23:9
10. “He who fears the LORD has a secure fortress, and for his children it will be a refuge.” -- Proverbs 14:26
11. "Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the LORD your God is giving you.” -- Exodus 20:12
12. “It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline?” -- Hebrews 12:7
13. “Fathers, do not embitter your children, or they will become discouraged.” -- Colossians 3:21
14. “Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong.” -- 1 Corinthians 16:13
15. "Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord.” -- Colossians 3:20