Bad news, “Fifty Shades of Grey” fans. The highly anticipated film adaptation of the E.L. James erotica series reportedly won't include some of the raunchier scenes from the best-selling trilogy.
Sunday People reported Sunday that the producers of the “Fifty Shades of Grey” film have toned down some of the stories' popular X-rated sex scenes in favor of a more rating-friendly screen adaptation. “It’s less racy than the book,” an inside source revealed to the publication, adding claims that the films’ stars, Jamie Dornan (Christian Grey) and Dakota Johnson (Anastasia “Ana” Steele), have already filmed most of the racier sequences. “They’ve filmed the majority of sex scenes and have really hit it off,” said the source.
According to the report, "Fifty Shades" filmmakers toned down the sex scenes in an effort to "avoid America’s highest cinema age" rating from the Motion Picture Association of America, which could ban moviegoers under 18.
While some of the raunchier sequences may not make it into the final cut, Dana Brunetti, one of the producers, revealed in an interview with Variety last year his desire to see two versions of the film. “This is just my opinion, and this doesn’t mean this is going to happen, but I always thought it would be really cool if we released the R version and then we had an NC-17 version that we released a few weeks later,” Brunetti said, adding, “Everybody could go and enjoy the R version, and then if they really wanted to see it again and get a little bit more gritty with it, then have that NC-17 version out there as well.”
“Fifty Shades of Grey” started filming on location in Vancouver, Canada, in November. The stars were last seen filming the “submissive special” car gifting scene from the series’ first book last Thursday. The film is currently scheduled for a February 2015 release.