Is “Here Comes Honey Boo Boo” coming back? Star Mama June Shannon is doing all she can to make that happen.
In October, TLC canceled the “Toddlers and Tiaras” spinoff, starring Alana Thompson and her family, after reports that 35-year-old matriarch Mama June was dating a convicted sex offender. Since the cancellation, Mama June has been very vocal about TLC’s decision -- and now she’s using the “19 Kids and Counting” Josh Duggar scandal to “demand” that the network bring her reality-television show back on air.
Mama June has hired an attorney to aid her in the fight against TLC. The lawyer confirmed to TMZ that he has contacted the network about bringing “Here Comes Honey Boo Boo” back on TV. He claims the family’s rights were “violated” when TLC pulled the show after pictures surfaced of Mama June with convicted sex offender Mark McDaniel. He is threatening to file a lawsuit against the network, saying that “Josh Duggar’s conduct was far worse, with fewer consequences.”
Reports late last week indicated Josh Duggar had allegedly molested underage girls while he was a teenager. He released a statement Thursday apologizing for his actions.
“Twelve years ago, as a young teenager I acted inexcusably for which I am extremely sorry and deeply regret,” Josh Duggar said. “I hurt others, including my family and close friends. I confessed this to my parents who took several steps to help me address the situation.”
According to Josh Duggar, authorities were notified and counseling was set up for those “affected.” No charges were filed.
“I understood that if I continued down this wrong road that I would end up ruining my life,” he said in his statement. “I sought forgiveness from those I had wronged and asked Christ to forgive me and come into my life. I would do anything to go back to those teen years and take different actions. In my life today, I am so very thankful for God’s grace, mercy and redemption.”
Josh Duggar has since resigned from his position with the Family Research Council. TLC released a statement Friday announcing it was pulling all “19 Kids and Counting” episodes from the air.
“We are deeply saddened and troubled by this heartbreaking situation, and our thoughts and prayers are with the family and victims at this difficult time,” the network said in a statement.
While the series is currently off the air, an official cancellation has not been confirmed. According to TMZ, the network is considering moving forward with new episodes without Josh Duggar.