How did Whitney Houston die? A combination of prescription drug Xanax and other medication mixed with alcohol are being reported as the cause of death, according to a report.

TMZ reported that Los Angeles County Coroner officials told Whitney Houston's family that the singer didn't die from drowning. Instead, it appears that Whitney Houston died from what seems to be a combination of prescription drugs mixed with alcohol, family sources told the celebrity news Web site.

Houston's body was found in her hotel room at the Beverly Hilton Hotel on Saturday afternoon. Beverly Hills Police Department Lt. Mark Rosen said the singer was pronounced dead at 3:55 p.m. in her room. Houston was 48 years old.

No obvious signs of foul play and no obvious signs of a cause of death, Rosen said.

Whitney Houston was found face down in the bathtub in her hotel room and prescription drugs were said to be present because the singer allegedly took them for depression and anxiety. Reports were that the singer either drowned or died of a drug overdose, but authorities said they wouldn't comment on the cause of death on Saturday, because it was still being investigated.

We're told Coroner's officials informed the family there was not enough water in Whitney's lungs to lead to the conclusion that she drowned, TMZ's report read.

The family sources also told TMZ that Whitney Houston may have died before her head was submerged.

When news of the six-time Grammy winner's death hit the media, reports were that singer and rumored ex-boyfriend Ray J found her body in her hotel room. However, TMZ reported that Whitney Houston's body was found in the bathtub by her aunt, Mary Jones. Ray J reportedly got the call informing him about Whitney Houston's death while he was at home and rushed to the hotel but was turned away by authorities.

Bobbi Kristina, Houston's only daughter with ex-husband Bobby Brown, was also prevented from identifying Whitney Houston's dead body. The 18 year old was rushed to a Los Angeles hospital on Sunday morning and treated for stress and anxiety following her mother's death, The Associated Press reported. She has since been released.

Getting ready for the evening

Houston was supposed to appear at her friend and mentor Clive Davis' pre-Grammy gala at the Beverly Hilton Hotel on Saturday.

Jones had laid out the singer's dress for the evening on the bed and left for about a half hour, TMZ reported. But when the singer didn't leave the bathroom Jones pulled Whitney Houston from the bathtub and began performing CPR, according to TMZ.

TMZ said that Whitney's mother Cissy has made arrangements for the singer's body to be flown to Atlanta, perhaps as early as Tuesday.

The family was told the Coroner has no problem releasing the body because there is no evidence of foul play -- and unless cops put a hold on the body, it can be flown back East, TMZ reported.

Investigating Houston's behavior before death

Detectives investigating the cause of Whitney Houston's death will be looking into the singer's behavior hours and days before her death. Her family, friends and staff have already been questioned, according to Good Morning America.

The Los Angeles Coroner on Sunday, said that toxicology reports on Houston will not be available until about six to eight weeks.

Houston struggled with drugs and alcohol for years and entered rehab last year. Reports are that she was at a bar Friday night at the Beverly Hilton hotel with a group of friends.

TMZ reported that the singer was at the bar drinking and being very loud.

Related Article: Whitney Houston Burial: Where to Watch Live Stream

Related Article: Bobbi Kristina Held Up During Whitney Houston's Funeral Service: Report

Related Article: Whitney Houston Funeral: 'You Weren't Just Good Enough. You Were Great,' Says Kevin Costner

Related Article: Whitney Houston Dead: Xanax, Amoxicillin and Other Prescription Drugs Found, Report