Thanks to a custom firmware build, the users of the Sprint variant of Samsung Galaxy S3 (SPH-L710) will now be able to upgrade their devices to the new Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean.
The custom firmware, Slim Bean Beta 1 ROM, also brings a number of customization features to Galaxy S3. Apart from that, the Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean exclusive features include multi-user support, gesture typing, new quick settings option, lock-screen widget, new camera app, photo sphere, improved Google Now, new daydream feature, miracast display and many more, according to Android Jinn.
The report states that the custom ROM in question is known for low file size and fast speedy nature. However, it is still under development and therefore the users might face some issues and bugs. All the issues are expected to be fixed as development progresses.
Here is a list of key features of the Slim Bean Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean Beta 1:
- Dotted Battery Mod and color picker
- Battery bar mod
- Notification Background customization
- Notification row transparency
- Quick Settings option
- Network mode tile
- Profile Tile
- Dismiss on toggle
- Updated APN + SPN
- Wi-Fi name in notification drawer
- Power widget
- Device Parts
- Performance Settings (need to tap build number a few times)
- Cursor control using volume keys
- Disable full screen keyboard
- Alternate app chooser
- Clock styles and color chooser
- ADB over Wi-Fi
- Camera power shutter mod
- Wi-Fi country specific settings
- Notification IME selector
- SMS quick reply & mark as read from notification
- All MMS features
- All Contacts feature
Below is a tutorial showing how to install Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean on Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3 (SPH-L710) using Slim Bean Beta 1 ROM. Before going ahead, take a look at the preciosities that need to be aware of.
- Backup your data.
- The device must have at least 80 percent battery power.
- USB driver must be installed for Samsung Galaxy S3 (SPH-L710) in your PC.
- USB Debugging must be enabled.
- Backup your EFS Folder.
- Flashing this ROM on Galaxy S3 L710 will increase your binary counter.
- Don’t skip Nandroid backup as it’s very helpful if this custom ROM doesn’t work the way you wanted.
The users should also keep in mind that this tutorial is only for Sprint variant of the Samsung Galaxy S3. Therefore, it should not be implemented on any other Android device. In addition, IBTimes cannot be held responsible if anything goes wrong. The users should proceed at their own risk.
1. Slim Bean Beta 1 4.2.1 Jelly Bean ROM For Galaxy S3 L710 [Filename: Slim-4.2.1.Beta.1-d2spr-20121222-0812-OFFICIAL.zip]
2. Google Apps [Filename: Slim_Gapps.zip]
How To Install
Step 1: Connect your Sprint Galaxy S3 to PC using USB cable.
Step 2: Copy downloaded files to the SD card of your phone without extracting them.
Step 3: Disconnect USB and turn off your phone.
Step 4: Boot into ClockworkMod recovery in your Galaxy S3 by pressing and holding the Volume Up, Power and Home buttons together until the Samsung logo appears on screen.
Step 5: Leave the buttons and hold then again. You will get ClockworkMod recovery screen soon. Now browse between options in recovery using Volume keys while using Power key to select an option.
Step 6: Carry out a Nandroid backup of your existing ROM by selecting Backup and Restore, then on the next screen, selecting Backup again. Once back up is complete, go back to the main recovery menu.
Step 7: Now perform the data wiping task. To do so, select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm your action. Wait for a few minutes till the data wipe is completed.
Step 8: Select install zip from SD card, then select choose zip from SD card. After that, locate the Slim-4.2.1.Beta.1-d2spr-20121222-0812-OFFICIAL.zip file and select it by pressing Power button (tap on it if using touch version).
Confirm installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM installation will begin.
Step 9: Once the ROM installation is done, repeat step 8 but choose the Slim_Gapps.zip file instead of ROM zip to install the Google apps package.
Step 10: After the installation is completed, go back to the main recovery menu and select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot up into customized Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean ROM Slim Bean Beta 1. The first boot will take time.
[Source: Android Jinn]