In a bid to introduce some key improvements and bug fixes, along with the one responsible for the battery draining problem, Apple rolled out iOS 5.0.1 few weeks back.
Following the Apple announcement, the Dev team advised iOS device users not to upgrade to iOS 5.0.1, if they are still waiting for an untethered jailbreak for iOS 5, because the flow for downgrading to iOS 5 is still to be developed.
However, if you've already upgraded to iOS 5.0.1 and now want to jailbreak your device, the latest version of Redsn0w, which is 0.9.9b8, can perform a tethered jailbreak for your device. For more details on carrying out the jailbreak using Redsn0w 0.9.9b8, click here.
But before going ahead with the jailbreak, the users must be aware of some important aspects.
- If you want to preserve your iPhone's baseband, the very first suggestion is to keep away from performing the jailbreak.
- Since Redsn0w 0.9.9b8 supports a tethered jailbreak, you need to connect your iPhone to the computer every time you reboot.
- Before you proceed, you must backup your iPhone so that if anything goes wrong, you can at least restore your iPhone to avoid losing any of your settings such as sound settings, widget settings, certain network settings, and other information like text messages, notes and call history contact favorites.
- In case your iPhone is already jailbroken, you can use jailbreak apps such as AptBackup, PkgBackup or xBackup from Cydia to keep backups for all the jailbreak apps and tweaks. It will allow you to reinstall them after you jailbreak your iPhone rather than installing them individually.
- You must make sure that you are running the latest version of iTunes that is iTunes 10.5 or later.
According to reports, after jailbreaking iPhone using Redsn0w, iBooks keeps crashing. The Dev team is currently working on the issue.
Fixing White Cydia Icon Issue:
Once you complete the jailbreak, you may notice that the Cydia icon turns to white. Here are the steps to fix the issue:
- Open Redsn0w 0.9.9b8
- Click on Extras and then click on Just Boot button from the list of options.
- You will be asked to plug your iPhone to the computer and switch it off.
- Follow the instructions and click on Next.
- Now you need to put the iPhone on the DFU mode. Here are the steps:
>Hold down the Power button and the home button for at least seven seconds.
>As soon as the screen goes black, release the Power button while keeping the Home button pressed for at least 10 seconds. The device should be in the DFU mode now.
- The iPhone will reboot now and the Pwnage icon will be displayed on the screen for few minutes.
- Once your iPhone is rebooted successfully, you will notice the regular Cydia icon.