Irvington, New Jersey dentist, Patrick Bamgboye, 64, is under investigation for the death of a child that occurred during a routine procedure last week. Three-year-old Juan Quiej is the second child to die while in the care of Bamgboye. Eight years ago, a 6-year-old girl died during a routine procedure at Bamgboye's office.

Bamgboye was still treating patients while on probation for the death eight years ago. On Wednesday, Juan Quiej's mother, Antonia Chajchalac-Garcia took him to Bamgboye to have his cavities fixed. Chajchalac-Garcia said that the dentist restrained Quiej in a cocoon-like papoose so that his movement was limited during the procedure. Bamgboye then administered local anesthetic to the child.

It was shortly after the anesthetic that Quiej went limp. The child's lips turned blue, and he had stopped breathing. He was pronounced dead at a local hospital.

An investigation is currently underway by the State Division of Consumer Affairs. The organization oversees the Board of Dentistry. We need to know what happened and why, said Thomas Calcagni, the Division's Director.

As of now it is uncertain if a criminal probe will be launched against Patrick Bamgboye by the Attorney General's Office.

I feel sad. I feel defeated, said Juan's mother through an interpreter. I keep thinking: Why did I take him? Why did I have to take him?

Farrah Torres, mother of the 6-year-old girl that died in 2004 under the care of Bamgboye has had her feelings of grief once again rise to the surface. When I heard her story, it was the same exact thing, said Torres. It can happen once, but not twice. Two innocent kids die. It can't be a coincidence.

Both families are seeking for Bamgboye's dental license to be revoked.

Bamgboye has currently taken a person leave from his office in Irvington, and is cooperating with investigations into Juan Quiej's death.

Attorney Harry Levin for Dental Health Associates said that it was way too early to assert blame, and that no one should rush to judgment. You have two kids who were in completely different medical circumstances, said Levin. We're not really sure that the child passed from yet. Levin also stated that Quiej's procedure last week was nothing unusual, and that it wasn't until the dentist was almost complete that it was discovered that the child had stopped breathing.

The 6-year-old girl that died while in Bamgboye's care in 2004 had several serious medical conditions, including cerebral palsy. It was determined by a medical examiner that she died of natural causes. Although she died of natural causes, Bamgboye was still suspended by the Board of Dentistry for three months in January 2011. Bamgboye was also placed on probation for 21 months.  

As of now it is unknown what could have caused Juan Quiej's death while a routine cavity procedure. Side effects do exist with local dental anesthesia though. Heart, circulation and nervous system problems can increase the risk of complications from anesthesia.

Anesthesia is used to temporarily numb the nerves during dental work that could be painful. Nitrous oxide can be used during these procedures. If too much nitrous oxide is used it can cause hypoxia. According to livestrong.com, hypoxia is a subnormal amount of oxygen in the brain. This could cause dizziness due to low oxygen flow to the brain. Nitrous oxide when not used right can also cause air filled portions of the body to expand.

CNS toxicity is another side effect of local dental anesthesia. In some cases dental anesthesia can travel into the bloodstream, and be absorbed by the body. The brain is affected by this, which leads to the toxicity of the central nervous system. Rapid heartbeat, difficulty breathing, sweating and paleness can all result from CNS toxicity. Livestrong.com states that in some sever situations, convulsions and seizures can occur.

Before any procedure begins, patients should inform their dentist about any pre-existing medical conditions.