Lady Gaga is speaking out after news broke that she and fiancé Taylor Kinney called it quits after five years together. The “If It Happened to You” singer’s statement suggests there’s still hope she and her former future hubby will walk down the aisle after all.
Lady Gaga took to Instagram to share some thoughts of her own after announcing that she and Kinney split. She posted a photo of the two of them together, writing that they “have always believed” they’re meant to be. She went on to explain that their engagement hit a rough patch, adding that she was hopeful they would make it work. In the meantime both Lady Gaga, 30, and Kinney, 35, continue to focus on their respective careers. In closing, she asked that fans cross their fingers for reconciliation, telling her 17.9 million followers that she and the “Chicago Fire” actor “really love each other.”
On Tuesday, not long after news of their engagement coming to an end hit the internet, Lady Gaga’s rep told People “they are taking a break.” Sources said work was forcing them to spend “a lot” of time apart. Neither saw an end to their separation in sight, so they thought the best thing to do may be to pause the relationship. Another anonymous source said the Grammy Award-winner and her former beau remain hopeful as they “love each other very much.”
“She’s working on an album, he’s working on his show, they aren’t in the same state. It was just hard,” one source said. “They both love each other very much and they want it to work. It’s just been tough with the long distance.”
Lady Gaga and Kinney are just one of several famous couples who called off an engagement. At the time, they had been dating for nearly five years. Kinney proposed to Lady Gaga on Valentine’s Day 2015 at her family’s New York City restaurant. The pair shared very few details about their wedding before calling it off.