- Brent Creeps Upward on Weak US Data
June 27 2013 8:12 AM
Brent crude oil rose on Thursday after poor economic data from the US gave investors reason to believe the Fed wouldn't roll back its stimulus program in the near future. The commodity approached $102 and traded at $101.93 at 8:02 GMT on Thursday morning. CNBC reported that the US government released a trimmed annual economic growth rate forecast of 1.8 percent, down from the original 2.4 percent estimate.
- Asian Markets Surge On QE Hopes After US GDP Revised Down
June 27 2013 2:43 AM
Asian markets rallied Thursday after a sharp downward revision of US GDP rekindled hopes that the US Fed might stretch its asset-purchase program.
- Energy Companies Pull a Blackwater
June 26 2013 5:14 PM
Norwegian energy company Statoil said last week it was forming a special operations division to handle emergency operations in response to a terrorist attack on a natural gas facility in Algeria. The company said it would double the amount of employees it had designated for existing security operations after reviewing the measures in place at the In Amenas gas facility. A January attack there left employees with Statoil and BP dead in what al-Qaida said was a response to French intervention in Mali.
- Gold Hits 3-Year Low, Silver Down, Dollar Up
June 26 2013 10:36 AM
Precious metals fell again Wednesday on continued concern about China's cash crunch.
- Brent Down on US Economic Data
June 26 2013 8:30 AM
Brent crude oil slipped on Wednesday after data from the US backed up the Federal Reserve's plan to pare its stimulus program later this year as the nation strengthened.
- India's Central Bank Restricts Lending Against Gold By Rural Banks
June 26 2013 5:23 AM
India's central bank imposed restrictions on lending against gold by rural banks to discourage demand and reduce imports.
- Asian Markets Celebrate US Data, Gold Falls
June 26 2013 2:40 AM
Strong US data helped boost most Asian stocks and drive down gold futures, while the Shanghai index continued to fall, despite PBoC's assurances.
- Malaysian Economy: Votes Of Confidence From World Bank - And The King
June 25 2013 3:46 PM
Southeast Asia's third-largest economy is projected to grow at a rate of 5.1 percent for the next two years, pending necessary economic reforms.
- Commodity Traders Back In Business Thanks To Maersk's Ingenuity
June 25 2013 9:50 AM
Maersk has opened a new transshipping facility in Malaysia offering storage space to commodity traders that will enable shorter shipping times to China.
- Indian Oil Cos Agree To Buy Stake In Mozambique Gas Field For $2.47B
June 25 2013 8:32 AM
Two Indian, state-run oil companies have jointly agreed to buy another Indian company's stake in Mozambique's Rovuma gas field.
- Gold Outlook Weakens On Signs Of US Recovery
June 24 2013 7:33 AM
Gold prices are expected to drop lower this week as a sell-off in gold ETFs continues and after Goldman Sachs lowered forecasts for 2013 and 2014.
- Brent Poised to End the Week on a Low Note
June 21 2013 8:42 AM
Brent crude oil slipped to a one week low at $102.57 at 5:22 GMT on Friday morning. The commodity suffered as investors worried about a weakening Chinese economy and the US Federal Reserve's plan to taper off its stimulus program.
- Global Seafood Prices Have Surged - And That's No Fish Story
June 18 2013 3:33 PM
The U.N.'s global fish price index has jumped 15 percent in May compared to a year ago.
- Societe Generale: Look Before You Leap At Gold
June 17 2013 1:27 PM
The gold price rally in the late 1970s turned out to be a bubble. Societe Generale thinks this time is not much different.
- EU To Approve Significant Merger of NYSE, ICE
June 17 2013 12:57 PM
EU regulators look set to approve an $8.2 billion takeover of NYSE Euronext by Intercontinental Exchange, or ICE.
- Gold Prices Could Swing Upward Wildly: Analysts
June 14 2013 2:35 PM
Two top gold analysts predict that the price of gold could skyrocket by the end of 2013.
- Brent Jumps on Geopolitical Tension
June 14 2013 8:41 AM
After slipping in early on Friday morning due to a bleak global demand outlook and rising US inventories, Brent crude oil bounced over $105 as geopolitical tension in the Middle East threatened to escalate. The commodity traded at $105.27 at 10:30 GMT on Friday morning. Data this week showed that US gasoline stocks on the East Coast were at their highest level since February of 2012.
- Gold Prices To Fall Next Week: Bloomberg Survey
June 14 2013 2:55 AM
Gold prices are expected to fall further as a sell-off in ETFs backed by the precious metal extended to 17 weeks.
- At Ecuador Gold Mine, Canada's Loss May Be China's Gain
June 13 2013 12:25 PM
Canada's Kinross abandoned its project over disputes with the government. Is China now moving into Ecuador's gold-rich Fruta del Norte?
- Is The Sun Setting On China's Solar Panel Boom?
June 13 2013 11:51 AM
China's solar panel industry will have to undergo dramatic consolidations soon to reverse the recent downturn.