UPDATE: 3:55 p.m. EST -- Last week's terror attacks in Paris likely didn't cost more than $10,000, including firearms, explosive devices, transit and lodging, counterterrorism experts have estimated, according to a new NBC News report. "I would note that although the attacks were coordinated, the actual method was basic bombs and guns," an unidentified counterterrorism expert told NBC.
The basic equipment the militants used were guns and suicide vests lined with explosives, but the most expensive item the attackers used was the AK-47 assault rifles, another counterterrorism expert said.
— Reuters Top News (@Reuters) November 18, 2015
UPDATE: 3:20 p.m. EST -- The U.S. ambassador to France has encouraged the world to unite as a means to rid the earth of the Islamic State militant group, which claims it organized the coordinated terror attacks that ripped through portions of Paris last Friday. "All of us have to work together to defeat this threat of terrorism," Jane D. Hartley told MSNBC in an interview that aired Wednesday. "Paris will bounce back," she added.
UPDATE: 3:10 p.m. EST -- The sentiment that Syrian refugees seeking asylum could have Islamic State militants hidden among them has spread to Indonesia, where the mayor of a small city issued a new policy restricting the movements of Syrian refugees there. Batam City Mayor Ahmad Dahlan called the new regulations precautionary, reported Pangea Today.
“Syrian asylum seekers who have come to Batam are victims of injustice in their country,” Dahlan said. “But no one can be sure whether ISIS members disguise themselves as refugees to carry out their mission on foreign countries.”
— IndonesiaTerkiniNews (@indoterkini) September 1, 2015
Dahlan's edict comes in the wake of Friday's terror attacks in Paris, for which ISIS has claimed responsibility.
UPDATE: 2:59 p.m. EST -- Republican U.S. presidential candidate Donald Trump released a series of new radio advertisements Wednesday, and one of them makes mention of last Friday's deadly terror attacks in Paris that left more than 125 people dead and hundreds more injured. In the 60-second spot, titled, "Dangerous," Trump doubles down on his previous comments lambasting the Islamic State militant group, which claimed responsibility for the coordinated acts of terror in Paris.
"The tragic attacks in Paris prove once again that America needs to get tough on radical Islamic terrorism," Trump's voice can be heard saying during the ad. "President Obama and other politicians have consistently failed us."
Listen to all four of Trump's radio ads released Wednesday by clicking here.
UPDATE: 2:23 p.m. EST -- Two public demonstration planned to take place ahead of an upcoming UN climate conference in Paris have been canceled by the French government, according to Agence France-Presse. One of the rallies, which was scheduled for Nov. 29, had been expected to draw at least 5,000 people. French President François Hollande previously said as recently as Tuesday that rally would go ahead as planned with increased security, in the wake of Friday's terror attacks. The second rally was scheduled for Dec. 12.
#BREAKING French govt bans two planned Paris climate summit rallies
— Agence France-Presse (@AFP) November 18, 2015
UPDATE: 145 p.m. EST -- United States House Speaker Paul Ryan joined the chorus of Republican voices Wednesday asking for tighter restrictions to be placed on Syrian asylum seekers. Legislation to tighten those standards should be solely intended to improve security and should not include a religious test, he said, reported Reuters.
UPDATE: 1:23 p.m. EST -- Paris public prosecutor François Molins said Wednesday that ongoing investigations following the terrorist attacks Friday resulted in the discovery of a cell phone that had been discarded in a trashcan outside of the Bataclan music venue where gunmen began opening fire Friday night. Text messages in the cell phone were then recovered and a final text saying, "we're starting," was sent from the phone at 9:42 p.m. that evening.
Paris prosecutor: a mobile phone was found in a bin outside the Bataclan, with a text saying "We're starting" https://t.co/Azy7NJe98P
— Sky News (@SkyNews) November 18, 2015
UPDATE: 12:30 p.m. EST -- France's health minister says 195 people remain hospitalized after a series of killings and explosions carried out last week across Paris by Islamic State group fighters. Minister Marisol Touraine told Parliament Wednesday that three victims were still in critical condition and 41 were in intensive care.
People across the world have honored the victims this week:
— Times of India (@timesofindia) November 18, 2015
— The Sun (@TheSun) November 18, 2015
England stages touching tribute to Paris victims https://t.co/CwfMaWWeyg
— USA TODAY (@USATODAY) November 17, 2015
— Entertainment Weekly (@EW) November 17, 2015
UPDATE: 12:18 p.m. EST -- Islamic State fighters arrested by French police Wednesday morning in a Paris suburb apartment had been planning to attack Charles de Gaulle Airport and a shopping mall, French media reported. The raid was launched after officials scoured tapped phone conversations, surveillance and witness accounts.
UPDATE: 11:50 a.m. EST -- The brother of two of the suspected terrorists involved with last Friday's deadly attacks in Paris was seen Wednesday lighting candles on a balcony at an apartment in Belgium in what appeared to be an effort to mourn the tragic events' victims. Mohammed Abdeslam, whose brother Salah Abdeslam is the subject of an intense manhunt across Europe, was joined in the Molenbeek neighborhood of Brussels by someone identified as his cousin in lighting the candles during a candlelight vigil there.
— Ron Brown (@ronbrown01) November 18, 2015
Brahim Abdeslam, another brother of Mohammed and Salah, was identified as a suicide bomber who blew himself up Friday at Paris' Boulevard Voltaire.
— Javier Gárate (@javitejavier) November 18, 2015
Molenbeek now. A vigil for Paris. pic.twitter.com/mLAi6pS1tI
— James Franey (@jamesfraney) November 18, 2015
UPDATE: 11:15 a.m. EST -- The band that was performing at a Paris concert venue targeted last Friday purportedly by the Islamic State militant group has broken its silence, offering condolences and well-wishes to the victims of the coordinated attacks that left more than 125 people dead and hundreds more injured. Eagles Of Death Metal, which was live on stage at the Bataclan, said Wednesday on its Facebook page that the group was "proud to stand together" with "the victims, the fans, the families, the citizens of Paris, and all those affected by terrorism."
The band's full statement follows below:
While the band is now home safe, we are horrified and still trying to come to terms with what happened in France. Our thoughts and hearts are first and foremost with our brother Nick Alexander, our record company comrades Thomas Ayad, Marie Mosser, and Manu Perez, and all the friends and fans whose lives were taken in Paris, as well as their friends, families, and loved ones.
Although bonded in grief with the victims, the fans, the families, the citizens of Paris, and all those affected by terrorism, we are proud to stand together, with our new family, now united by a common goal of love and compassion.
We would like to thank the French police, the FBI, the U.S. and French State Departments, and especially all those at ground zero with us who helped each other as best they could during this unimaginable ordeal, proving once again that love overshadows evil.
All EODM shows are on hold until further notice.
Vive la musique, vive la liberté, vive la France, and vive EODM.
UPDATE: 10:45 a.m. EST -- The owner of the suburban Parisian apartment that was raided early Wednesday morning by French authorities has insisted he was not aware that the people he let stay there were involved with the Islamic State militant group.
Jawad Bendaoud "didn't know they're terrorists" and let suspects tied to Friday’s deadly terror attacks in Paris stay in his Saint-Denis apartment as a favor, the Associated press reported. "I don't know where they come from ... If I would have known, I wouldn't have let them stay." Bendaoud, pictured below, was placed in custody during the raid.
— Français du Jura (@fr_souche_jura) November 18, 2015
UPDATE: 10:18 a.m. EST -- Sweden raised its terror threat to the fourth most serious, out of five tiers, the Local reported Wednesday , citing the fact that its “ security service has received concrete information and concluded that we must act within the framework of our counter-terrorism work."
The fourth tier means that “the probability that players have the intent and ability to carry out attacks is high,” according to Säpo, the Swedish security service. A Swedish newspaper reported earlier Wednesday that prosecutors were investigating plans for a terrorist attack in Sweden, although those claims have not yet been confirmed by Säpo.
UPDATE: 8:57 a.m. EST – A London subway station was evacuated Wednesday by armed police following reports of a man threatening passengers. After searching the Tooting Broadway station, officers could not find anyone matching the description and the incident was "stood down," the Mirror reported.
— Matt FarringtonSmith (@helloMFS) November 18, 2015
Breaking: armed police close Tooting Broadway station https://t.co/WLsJa19t0W
— Helen Jane Mather (@He11ie) November 18, 2015
UPDATE: 8:45 a.m. EST – A woman who blew herself up during a police raid early Wednesday had been on the police radar for several days, and was the cousin of one of Friday night’s attackers. She was reportedly sheltering Abdel-Hamid Abu Oud, the mastermind of the Paris attack.
The seven hour raid, part of a search for those responsible for Friday’s attack, resulted in five police injuries. Three men were arrested inside the apartment, and a man and woman were arrested in the vicinity, the Guardian reported. An unidentified man was killed by a grenade.
— Daily Mail Online (@MailOnline) November 18, 2015
UPDATE: 8:28 a.m. EST – French President François Hollande has said that any place “glorifying” terrorism will be shut down, the AP reported. A bill proposed by the French leader to extend the country’s state of emergency by three months would allow authorities to close any place that might encourage people to carry out terrorist attacks. The law would include mosques and community groups. The bill will be voted on by the end of the week.
— CNN Breaking News (@cnnbrk) November 18, 2015
UPDATE: 8:14 a.m. EST -- Three British citizens injured in Friday night’s attacks have been released from the hospital, Prime Minister David Cameron said Wednesday. They have now returned home, Sky News reported.
Cameron said 15 others are being supported for trauma following the violence last week. "We will make sure we provide all the support to those injured and traumatised by the events that have happened," he told members of parliament.
— Reuters Top News (@Reuters) November 18, 2015
UPDATE: 8:00 a.m. EST -- French President François Hollande said there was no link between the refugee crisis and Friday’s attacks. He announced that France would accept 30,000 refugees in the next two years, the Guardian reported.
“Some people have tried to draw a connection between the movement of refugees from the Middle East and the terrorist threat,” he said. “This link exists because people from Iraq and Syria live in areas controlled by Islamic State and are killed by those who attack us.”
Hollande: France commits to taking in 30,000 refugees over next 2 years. Calls it a duty.
— Mustafa Hameed (@MustafaHameed) November 18, 2015
He also sought the support of mayors in the deployment of thousands of more security forces throughout France.
UPDATE: 7:42 a.m. EST -- French President François Hollande said he wants a “large coalition” against the so-called Islamic State group, reiterating that his country was at “war” with the militants, the AP reported. He said the French aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle was on its way to help French operations against ISIS.
— Shah Jee (@mardanone) November 18, 2015
"Daesh (ISIS) has an army, financial resources, oil resources, and occupies a territory,” the president said Wednesday. “It has accomplices in Europe. ... It commits barbarous massacres."
— ITV News (@itvnews) November 18, 2015
All 129 victims of Friday night’s Paris attacks have been identified, the French government said Wednesday morning. A statement from the French Cabinet said 100 families have come to see their loved ones' bodies, according to Associated press.
The attack, which left some 350 people wounded, was the worst international terrorist event since the so-called Islamic State group rose to prominence in Syria and Iraq. The death toll could rise if some of the wounded do not recover.
— Agence France-Presse (@AFP) November 18, 2015
The militants launched their attack with coordinated explosions near the Stade de France stadium. There were also shootings at three restaurants in Paris, and a hostage situation at the Bataclan concert hall. About half of the deaths occurred there, where some 200 people were held.