The Brandon James killer's motive was possibly revealed last week on MTV's "Scream." Could Emma's (Willa Fitzgerald) long lost brother or sister be the one behind all of the killings in Lakewood?
Episode 8 revealed that Maggie (Tracy Middendorf) had a child with Brandon James that she put up for adoption. She never even found out if it was a boy or a girl. The revelation of this huge secret shows that the killer is most likely so obsessed with Emma because she had the life that they never did, and they want to avenge their father.
With that being said, the half sibling killer concept is no stranger to “Scream.” In the original “Scream” trilogy, it was a half sibling that set all of the killing in motion and ended up being responsible for everything that happened in the first three films.
At the end of “Scream 3,” Roman Bridger (Scott Foley) revealed himself to Sidney (Neve Campbell) as not only the killer, but her long lost half brother. Roman was the son of Maureen Prescott (Lynn McRee), but when he tracked her down she denied him, setting Roman down the path of revenge and anger. He spied on Maureen and discovered she was having multiple affairs, including one with Billy Loomis' (Skeet Ulrich) father.
Roman showed this to Billy and provided him with motivation to kill Maureen and set him down the path of becoming a masked murderer. Basically, “Scream 3” brought all the films full circle because Roman set everything into play, and without him none of the murders would have happened. It was the biggest twist in the franchise up until that point.
It appears that MTV's “Scream” has elected to go down this road. However, it hasn't helped make it any clearer who the killer is as Maggie doesn't know if it's a male or female. With that in mind, here are the likeliest candidates to not only be Emma's long lost half-sibling, but also the killer that has turned her upside down:
1. Piper (Amelia Rose Blaire): It seems like each week that new evidence emerges, more evidence seems to point to Piper. The argument can be made that she seems to seek Emma out and be around her more than Emma's own friends. She told Emma her father died, (Brandon James was killed) and she now has a podcast about murders and crime. There's also something fishy about how she seems to keep pointing police towards suspects, while never becoming one herself. When all is said and done it wouldn't be surprising if Piper is behind everything.
2. Kieran (Amadeus Serafini): We're up to episode 9 and it still seems like we know very little about Kieran. He's conveniently out of town whenever a murder happens, the killings didn't seem to start until he came to town and his past is very vague. The sneak peek video for episode 9 also shows that Kieran was seen in a bar with Nina before she was killed, which could be a game changer.
3. Mr. Branson (Bobby Campo): The webcam malware was traced back to his computer, murder weapons were found in his classroom, he moved away from a town where he was a suspect in a murder after having a relationship with a student and changed his name. That much evidence against someone is hard to ignore, especially since he's older than Emma and could be around the age of Maggie's child. Not to mention, how creepy he has been since earlier in the season.
4. Jake (Tom Maden): While Jake as the killer would seem almost too obvious, it's still a very strong possibility. Jake has been one of the creepiest characters on the show this season, with his quotes about how "Murder is like potato chips, you can't just have one,” and how he says he likes to put ice in the hot coffee because he likes to “torture the ice.” He's also not afraid to be violent or make strong threats.
5. Audrey (Bex Taylor-Klaus): This one could be a long shot, but there was still never any explanation for how her DNA got on the inside of the mask found in the abandoned hospital. Audrey certainly had the motivation to kill Nina (Bella Thorne) after how she embarrassed her in front of the school. It's possible Rachel knew this and Audrey killed her to cover it up. However, it's clear Audrey cared a lot for Rachel, so it would be shocking if this turned out to be the case.
Will one or two of these characters be joining the list of “Scream” killers that include Loomis, Stu Macher (Matthew Lillard), Mickey Altieri (Timothy Olyphant), Debbie Loomis/Debbie Salt (Laurie Metcalf), Bridger, Jill Roberts (Emma Roberts) and Charlie Walker (Rory Culkin)? We'll find out in the two remaining episodes in Season 1 of MTV's "Scream."
"Scream” episode 9 airs Tuesday, Aug. 25, at 10 p.m. EDT on MTV.