Articles by NYSE
- Two Years Later, Dodd-Frank Is Only Half Finished
August 28 2012 6:18 AM
The Dodd-Frank Act was passed in 2010 to rein in the Wall Street excesses that led to the financial crisis, but the massive law is only around half complete, according to the Financial Services Committee's Dodd-Frank Burden Tracker.
- Top After-Market NYSE Movers (Brown Shoe, Molycorp, PVH Corp, Nam Tai, STMicroelectronics, Rogers, AK Steel)
August 28 2012 12:51 AM
The top after-market NYSE gainers Monday were Brown Shoe Co, Molycorp, PVH Corp, Nam Tai Electronics and Fibria Celulose. The top after-market NYSE losers were STMicroelectronics, New America High Income Fund, Rogers Communication, Gol Linhas Aereas Inteligentes and AK Steel Holding Corp.
- Romney's Endorsement of Costco Shows Big Business Has No Political Party
August 27 2012 4:01 PM
The Romneys love Costco, whose co-founder is a major backer of Barack Obama. The political leanings top executives gives no credence to the idea one party is the party of big business.
- Tiffany Lowers Profit Forecast, Shares Rally Anyway
August 27 2012 3:40 PM
When Tiffany & Co. (NYSE: TIF) cut its fiscal year sales and earnings guidance for a second straight quarter on Monday, stock in the company rallied over 7 percent. The reason: investors think the worst is over for the New York-based jeweler.
- Corporate Debt Issuance In August Sets Record, Analysts Warn Of Junk Bonds
August 27 2012 2:35 PM
This month has been the busiest August on record for global corporate bond issuance as low-risk free yields on government bonds pushed investors to find better returns in corporate credit.
- Airbus Nearing Deal With China For More Than 100 Jets - Report
August 27 2012 1:15 PM
Airbus SAS, the French aerospace company and subsidiary of the Netherlands-based European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company N.V., is nearing a deal with the Chinese government to sell more than 100 aircrafts.
- ALEC Roster Shrinks As GE, Sprint, Western Union, Symantec, Reckitt Quit
August 27 2012 12:53 PM
Five more major companies said they had quit the controversial conservative American Legislative Council, a Washington, D.C., based body that lobbies for right-wing legislation such as “stand your ground” laws in state legislatures.
- The New York Times Sells About.com At A Loss: Is Google To Blame?
August 27 2012 12:31 PM
The Times Co. blamed the decline of the information website About.com on a change in Google's algorithm, which reduced the site's rankings and caused a loss of traffic over the last year.
- Tropical Storm Isaac Cuts Petroleum Output, Price Hikes Expected
August 27 2012 12:28 PM
At least one major refiner, BP PLC (NYSE: BP), has said it is shutting down production in the region. Production shutdowns can lead to price spikes at the pump fairly quickly.
- How Much Will Libor Suits Cost Banks?
August 27 2012 11:28 AM
Banks involved in London interbank offered rate benchmark, or Libor, manipulations could be liable for billions of dollars in lawsuits from a slew of financial firms and investors who were affected by the distortions, according to reports.
- AOL's $600M Stock Buyback, Special Dividend
August 27 2012 10:54 AM
Internet company AOL Inc. (NYSE: AOL) announced plans Monday to return $1.1 billion to shareholders through a special dividend of $5.15 per share and also to buy back $600 million of stock under an accelerated stock-repurchase agreement with Barclays Bank PLC.
- IBM To Acquire Kenexa To Battle Oracle, Workday, Salesforce.com
August 27 2012 9:39 AM
International Business Machines Corp. (NYSE: IBM), the No. 2 computer maker, said it will pay about $1.6 billion to acquire Kenexa Corp. (NYSE: KNXA), for its human-resources software cloud technologies.
- Hertz Buying Dollar Thrifty For $2.3B
August 27 2012 8:03 AM
Rental-car company Hertz Global Holdings Inc. (NYSE:HTZ) is buying rival Dollar Thrify Automotive Group Inc. (NYSE:DTG) for about $2.3 billion in cash to increase its global reach.
- Technology Focus: How To Label Tech In 2012? A-n-t-i-c-i-p-a-t-i-o-n
August 26 2012 9:56 AM
Now that 2012 is two-thirds over, it’s already time to label it, like the Asians do. Unlike 4709, it’s not the Year of the Dragon. It’s the Year of Anticipation.
- Global Car Companies Hunt Big Game In Africa's Growing Automotive Market
August 25 2012 2:07 PM
Global automakers from Renault SA (Paris: RNO) to Ford Motor Company (NYSE: F) to Chinese companies like Geely Automotive are all racing to get a piece of the long-term potential promised by Africa's burgeoning automotive market. The continent's economy is on the rise, and despite very real improvements in the quality of life and standards of living in many African countries, risks for multinational manufacturers remain.
- Top After-Market NYSE Movers (Delek, Cenveo, Demand Media, Radioshack, Stillwater, Nationstar, Hovnanian, Standard Pacific)
August 25 2012 12:43 AM
The top after-market NYSE gainers Friday were Delek US Holdings, Cenveo, Demand Media, Magnum Hunter Resources and Radioshack Corp. The top after-market NYSE losers were Stillwater Mining, Nationstar Mortgage Holdings, Hovnanian Enterprises, Standard Pacific Corp and SM Energy Co.
- Money's Winners And Losers: NY Fed And AIG, Gawker Media, Eli Lilly, ZeekRewards, Best Buy, Fisker Automotive
August 24 2012 7:41 PM
Each week, we pick the biggest, most dramatic, or most interesting winners and losers in money and business. Our picks for Aug. 19-24 include the Federal Reserve Bank of New York and Eli Lilly & Co. on one side, and ZeekRewards and Best Buy Co. Inc. on the other side.
- Executives Flee Zynga, Rival Accuses Company Of 'Making Games For Grandmothers'
August 24 2012 5:00 PM
Zynga Inc. lost another high-profile executive, when Alan Patmore, the San Francisco-based social game developer's general manager for its popular Facebook title "CityVille," left the company for Kixeye Inc.
- Frank Gehry And Facebook: A Surprisingly Pastoral Partnership
August 24 2012 4:45 PM
Facebook Inc. (Nasdaq: FB)'s stock may be sinking, but it is forging ahead with an expansion to its campus in Menlo Park, Calif., designed by the renowned architect Frank Gehry.
- Tiffany, Heinz, Pandora, Joy Global, Splunk: Earnings Reports To Watch, Aug 27-31
August 24 2012 4:30 PM
While the second-quarter earnings season is coming to a close, investors will still see a trickle of companies reporting results next week. They include Heinz, Joy Global, Pandora Media, Splunk, and Tiffany.