Articles by Pakistan
- Haqqani Leader Reportedly Killed In Pakistan Drone Strike
August 25 2012 11:01 AM
A CIA drone strike may have killed the leader of a powerful insurgent group responsible for some of the deadliest attacks on U.S. troops and Afghan government targets, multiple outlets are reporting.
- With 929 Killed In Two Decades, It's A Deadly World For Journalists
August 24 2012 5:43 PM
The Committee to Protect Journalists' latest report reveals that speaking truth to power, or just being in the wrong place at the wrong time, still costs hundreds of journalists their lives.
- US Drones Kill 15 In Pakistan
August 24 2012 9:39 AM
Fifteen people are dead in a U.S. drone strike in an area of Pakistan known to be active with terrorist groups.
- Pre-Opening Wheat Market Report 8/22
August 22 2012 10:24 AM
September Chicago wheat is trading 9 cents lower near 7:30 am CST. Wheat markets have taken on a softer tone overnight as corn and soybeans trended lower. The lower trade is also linked to profit taking from gains seen this week.
- Sri Lanka Punishes French Tourists For 'Insulting' Buddhism
August 21 2012 3:14 PM
Tourists are banned entry at shrines and temples if they are not dressed conservatively.
- Pakistan Blocks Mobile Phone Service To Thwart Terror Attacks During Eid
August 20 2012 1:20 PM
Pakistani authorities feared that militants would use mobile service to coordinate attacks or detonate a remote-controlled bomb.
- Blasphemy Accusation Nearly Leads To Death Of Pakistan Girl
August 20 2012 8:43 AM
Details of the incident are murky, but one thing is clear -- had it not been for the girl's arrest, she might not be alive Monday.
- India To Give Proof Of Pakistanis' Involvement In North-East Exodus Issue
August 20 2012 6:37 AM
India will present Pakistan with the proof of the involvement of Pakistani-based groups in fueling communal sentiments in India using social media and cellphone networks.
- Clashes Expose Communal Divide as Elections Loom
August 20 2012 1:33 AM
The grisly scenes unfolding in the far-flung northeast may fan communal politics in a country where simmering tensions between Hindus and Muslims have often been exploited for electoral gain.
- Taliban Attack On Air Base Raises Worries Over Pakistan’s Nuclear Security
August 16 2012 3:01 PM
The Kamra base is believed to store some of Pakistan’s estimated 100 nuclear warheads.
- Pakistan’s Religious Schism Again Explodes: 20 Shias Murdered By Gunmen
August 16 2012 12:48 PM
The gunmen checked the passengers’ travel documents, separated the Shias from the others, marched them outside and executed them at point-blank range.
- Militants Attack Pakistan Air Forces Base; 9 Killed
August 16 2012 12:52 AM
Heavily armed suspected Islamist militants Thursday attacked one of Pakistan's largest air bases, resulting in an intense firefight for several hours that left seven gunmen and two security personnel dead.
- Iran Rejects Foreign Aid To Help Earthquake Victims... Or Do They?
August 15 2012 2:57 PM
The Iranian Interior Minister rejected a US offer of aid to earthquake victims, despite statements to the contrary the day before from the Iranian Vice President and Speaker of Parliament.
- Wither Taliban? Uprising Forces Insurgents Out Of 50 Afghan Villages
August 14 2012 5:19 PM
"I hope this movement can grow because it offers a good alternative and solution for providing stability in Afghanistan."
- India's 66th Independence Day: Will Manmohan Singh Paint A Rosy Picture Amid Glaring Issues?
August 14 2012 6:56 AM
Unless India's Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government has been hiding all the ground-breaking policy decisions for next year, the 2014 general elections aren't likely to go their way. However, a latest survey indicates that they won't go the other way either, with the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-led main opposition National Democratic Alliance (NDA) likely to lose seats, raising the hopes for a third political front to come to power.
- Making A Baby Boom: Singapore And The Politics Of Procreation
August 13 2012 3:24 PM
Singapore's population can't keep up with its productivity. Can the government do anything to get some more buns in the oven?
- Kashmiri Women Threatened With Acid Attack Violence For Not Wearing Veils
August 13 2012 2:21 PM
The posters added: “This land belongs to Allah and we will make sure that nothing against His will happens here.”
- Thailand Rice Exports at Risk: Korn Chatikavanij
August 13 2012 4:44 AM
Government intervention puts Thai Rice exporters in peril. Thailand's world-class rice industry is in a saddened state, millions of tons of rice that no one wants, huge losses for the state budget, farmers more interested in quantity than quality, exporters exiting the trade.
- Afghan Officials Met Secretly With Taliban: Report
August 12 2012 3:25 PM
Afghan officials traveled to Pakistan for secret talks with an imprisoned Taliban member, a move that could signal tentative progress towards the Taliban striking a deal with the Afghan government.
- Did The Pakistani Taliban Threaten To Kill Former Cricket Star Imran Khan?
August 09 2012 1:10 PM
The Taliban's anger at Khan appears to be due to the former cricketer’s lack of religious conviction and left-wing, secular ideas.