Director  Oliver Stone has condemned a rush to judge producer  Harvey Weinstein on Thursday over several sexual harassment and assault allegations against that led to Weinstein being fired from the company that bears his name.

While speaking at the Busan International Film Festival on Thursday, held in the large port city in South Korea, Stone responded to a question about the Weinstein scandal by stating, “I’m a believer that you wait until this thing gets to trial. I believe a man shouldn’t be condemned by a vigilante system. It’s not easy what he’s going through, either. He was a rival and I never did business with him. I’ve heard horror stories from everyone in the business. So I’m not going to comment on that. I’ll wait and see, which is the right thing to do.”

The director, who is serving as chair of the event’s competition jury, made the comments while addressing the international media at the Busan International Film Festival, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

Social media users took to Twitter and expressed their dislike for Stone’s comments.

On Thursday, police in New York and London confirmed they have been investigating Weinstein for sexual assault charges. The police investigations followed after a New York Times article published last week uncovered sexual harassment allegations against Weinstein by female assistants, executives, and actresses spanning decades. The Times report also claimed that Weinstein settled complaints with at least eight women.

The  New York Times story began with allegations against the well-known Hollywood producer by actress Ashley Judd and subsequently his alleged conduct with female actors and executives.

Stone's remarks at the event stood in stark contrast to the wave of industry condemnation that has followed after the publication of the Times article. Some of those who have commented, with criticism of Weinstein and support for the alleged victims, included Colin Firth, Judi Dench, Hillary Clinton, Meryl Streep, Tom Hanks, Disney chairman Bob Iger, Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio, Charlize Theron, Cate Blanchett, Jennifer Lawrence, Barack and Michelle Obama, and many more. 

While Stone defended Weinstein on Thursday over the allegations, a former Playboy Playmate, Carrie Stevens accused the “Platoon” director of sexual assault, according to New York Daily News.

Carrie Stevens, who was well-known as Playboy’s Playmate of the Month in June 1997 tweeted Thursday claiming that Stone had grabbed her breast at a party.

Weinstein had released a statement in response to the allegations made by the Times last week and apologized for some of his behavior by saying that times have changed since he began in the movie business:

"I came of age in the 60's and 70's when all the rules about behavior and workplaces were different. That was the culture then. I have since learned it's not an excuse, in the office — or out of it. To anyone. I realized some time ago that I needed to be a better person and my interactions with the people I work with have changed. I appreciate the way I've behaved with colleagues in the past has caused a lot of pain, and I sincerely apologize for it," Weinstein said in his statement.

However, Weinstein’s attorney Lisa Bloom said in a statement to the Times that "he denies many of the accusations as patently false."