You've probably heard the name Ekaterina Rybolovleva and have been wondering who she is and why is her name is popping up all of a sudden. Rybolovleva probably is a name you should get used to.
She is a 22-year-old socialite and daughter of Russian billionaire Dmitriy Rybolovlev who recently made a big purchase -- $88 million big -- for an apartment at 15 Central Park West, New York.
At just 22, Rybolovleva now owns the 6,744-square-foot property that was listed by Citigroup Chairman Sanford Weill in November. According to Forbes.com, Weill promised to donate the proceeds of the sale to charity. The apartment has 10 rooms, including four bedrooms, a wraparound terrace and two wood-burning fireplaces, according to reports.
Here are five things that Forbes reported about Rybolovleva that would surely have you astonished:
1. She is studying at an undisclosed U.S. university. She saw the apartment and decided to purchase it for when she is visiting New York. She was born in Russia, but has resided in Monaco and Switzerland for the past 15 years.
2. She paid the full asking price of $88 million for the New York pad, which means she has set the new record for an individual transaction in New York City's history. The previous record was set by investor Christopher Flowers, who Forbes.com reported paid $53 million for a townhouse at 4 East 75th St. before later selling it for $36 million.
3. She is the second billionaire heiress to make real estate headlines this year. The first was Petra Ecclestone, daughter of Formula One's Bernie Ecclestone. Petra Ecclestone reportedly paid $85 million for a 56,500-sq-ft mansion that was owned by Candy Spelling, the widow of TV producer Aaron Spelling.
4. The Russian heiress' father sold the majority of his stake in Uralkali, the fertilizer business that made him rich, for $6.5 billion in 2010.
5. In May 2008, her father bought Donald Trump's Palm Beach, Fla., mansion, Maison de L'Amitie, for $95 million in cash, which was $25 million less than Trump's original asking price.
You can see the $88 million apartment here.