Police lights
Park Forest Police continue to investigate the circumstances behind the shooting of a two-year-old child at a southern suburb in Park Forest. diegoparra/Pixabay


  • The 2-year-old boy is now in stable condition following the Park Forest shooting
  • Police are still investigating whether the shooting was accidental or intentional
  • A 41-year-old man was shot by police after wielding a sword and brandishing a rifle at officers

A 2-year-old boy in Illinois was seriously injured in a shooting incident in south suburban Park Forest Friday morning.

The child was inside a residence in the 300 block of Forest Boulevard when he was shot in the abdomen at about 11:15 a.m., the Chicago Sun-Times reported, citing police.

The toddler was in critical condition when he was airlifted to the Comer Children's Hospital for surgery, police added.

According to an update released late Friday, the child underwent successful surgery and is now in stable condition, according to police.

It remains unclear as of this writing who fired the shot and if the shooting was accidental or intentional, NBC Chicago reported.

One neighbor said it was a seemingly silent shot.

"That was the strange part. I heard nothing. Nothing at all. I don't think anyone did," said the neighbor, who was not named and refused to show her face due to fear, according to NBC. "They all play together, and it's just sad because we would watch him playing and just to hear something like that this morning. It just does something to you as a grandparent and parent."

The neighbor also said, "I'm praying for the child. I don't know, it's just horrible! It's just something that you don't want to talk about. It makes me nervous. It made me very nervous."

No other information has been provided thus far.

The Park Forest Police Department, assisted by the South Suburban Major Crimes Task Force, continues to investigate the case.

Authorities are urging anyone with information about the shooting to come forward and call them at 708-748-1309.

The incident comes days after a 41-year-old man in the city of Forest Park in Georgia was shot by a police officer Tuesday after he allegedly wielded a sword and pulled out a rifle.

Officers with the Forest Park Police Department were responding to an emergency call for a domestic incident at a home on the 800 block of Warren Drive when an officer found a man who was threatening his mother inside the home, 11Alive reported, citing the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.

The man ignored commands given by officers. Instead, he pulled out a sword and a rifle, threatened officers and showed them that he had both weapons in hand, the GBI said.

Officers then fired shots, hitting the man. He was rushed to a hospital after the shooting.

No officers were hurt in the incident. The man's current condition was not disclosed.

The investigation into the shooting is ongoing, according to the GBI.

Medical staff treat seriously ill COVID-19 patients at Milton Keynes University Hospital, amid the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic, Milton Keynes
A two-year-old boy who was shot in the abdomen in Park Forest is reportedly now in stable condition after undergoing surgery. Reuters