• The 5-year-old boy was pronounced dead at a hospital
  • The woman's condition remains critical
  • The man was charged with second-degree murder and attempted second-degree murder

A Louisiana man was jailed after he set his girlfriend and his 5-year-old great-nephew on fire, authorities said Wednesday. The baby died in the incident. 

Firefighters responded to the report of a mobile home fire in the Centerville community in Franklin at around 8 p.m. Tuesday. The emergency responders found a badly burned woman and a 5-year-old child outside the home. They were transported to nearby hospitals but the child was pronounced dead at the hospital. The woman's condition remains critical, according to a news release from the Louisiana Office of State Fire Marshal.

The officials have not revealed the identities of the victims. Based on a statement from the woman,  officials identified 49-year-old Derwin Hamilton, of Franklin, as the suspect. Hamilton was detained and was taken to a hospital after he sustained minor burn injuries in the fire. He was charged with second-degree murder and attempted second-degree murder, the news release said.

Hamilton was having an argument with the woman about ending their relationship before the fire occurred Tuesday. The woman told officers that during their argument, Hamilton poured a flammable liquid on her and the child before setting them on fire. The woman was the child's guardian.

Hamilton admitted to the crime during a police interrogation. He was booked into the St. Mary Parish Jail after he was released from the hospital.

"The ultimate danger is when the fire is used to commit a crime," State Fire Marshal H. "Butch" Browning said. "In this instance, that crime resulted in the tragic death of an innocent child and left his guardian in critical condition. Our prayers go out to the victims’ families while we pursue justice on their behalf."

The investigators are awaiting an autopsy report from St. Mary Parish Coroner's Office to determine the exact cause of the child's death, news outlet WAFB reported.

On Tuesday, a 20-year-old woman in India died after she was allegedly set ablaze by her neighbor who was upset because she was in a relationship with his elder brother. The unidentified woman succumbed to death after suffering 40% burns.