This story has been updated

UPDATE 10:30 p.m EDT: A small number of arrests were made in Baltimore less than an hour after the 10 p.m. EDT curfew began, CNN reported

Original post:

Baltimore officials kept a curfew in place following a day of peaceful rallies Saturday by hundreds of Baltimore residents a day after six police officers in the death of Freddie Gray, a 25-year-old black man who died in April after sustaining a spinal injury while being transported in a police van. The announcement was made less than three hours before the 10 p.m.-5 a.m. curfew went into effect.

"We have had several good days, peaceful days," Maryland State Police Commissioner William Pallozzi said at a press conference. "We just ask for patience as we move forward."

Police detained 53 people Friday during protests, including 15 who violated curfew outside City Hall.

The demonstration Saturday was a peaceful “victory rally” after six city police officers were charged Friday with crimes, including murder and manslaughter, in the April death of Gray. Some marchers carried signs that said "Justice for Freddie Gray" and "It is right to rebel," as they converged on the streets to Baltimore to War Memorial Plaza.

"It's important that we stand together not just as black people, but black people and their allies to do great ... and positive things in our community," Tanaira Cullens, 24, who was raised in the same neighborhood as Gray, told CNN.

"I was blessed because my parents are educated people," Cullens said. "My father works with people who are having a change of life. They are coming from negative backgrounds, and he brings them around to do positive things in their community. My mother is a professor. So I was raised to value my education. And so many people don't have that opportunity."

Gray's death has been ruled a homicide, and the officers involved in his death will face criminal charges, Baltimore City State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby announced Friday morning. The six officers involved in the Gray incident were suspended, and the charges against them ranged from second-degree murder to false imprisonment.