KEY POINTS

  • Lautaro Martinez will remain at Inter Milan this summer
  • He is being chased by Barcelona and Real Madrid
  • Martinez has scored 30 goals in 84 matches for Inter so far

Lautaro Martinez’s agent Carlos Yaque has said his client will not leave Inter Milan at the current transfer window.

Martinez is one of FC Barcelona’s top transfer targets this summer and the 23-year-old forward was also recently linked with a move to Real Madrid.

The Argentinean moved to Inter Milan ahead of the 2018-19 season from his native side Racing Club. Over the last two seasons, Martinez has become a core member of Inter Milan’s squad, having scored 30 goals in as many as 84 competitive appearances. Following his impressive performances with the Nerazzurri, Martinez even received his maiden Argentina call two years ago that saw him finally play alongside Lionel Messi.

It is believed Barcelona captain Messi is in awe of his compatriot and, therefore, has pushed the Catalans to bring Martinez from Inter Milan to Nou Camp this summer. It was previously reported that Martinez, whose transfer fee could be over $120 million, was being considered as a long-term replacement for Luis Suarez at Barcelona.

Real Madrid were the latest La Liga side to show interest in Martinez and were considered favorites to beat Barcelona in the race to acquire the player. The player’s representatives met the Inter Milan board Monday and that led to more speculations about the striker’s future in Italy.

There were rumors that Martinez had agreed to join Santiago Bernabeu side on a $120-million transfer. However, the player’s agent Yaque rubbished the reports, saying his client will stay at San Siro beyond the summer window.

Lautaro Martinez of Internazionale, Jesus Navas of Sevilla Lautaro Martinez of Internazionale, Jesus Navas of Sevilla Photo: Getty Images | Mattia Ozbot/Soccrates

According to Sky Sports Italy, the meeting between the Inter Milan officials and Martinez’s agents was defined as just a "courtesy" meet by both the parties.

"Lautaro is at Inter, that is. Barcelona and Real Madrid moves are fake news, there is nothing. We have a great relationship with the Inter board," Yaque said in an interview, as reported by Fabrizio Romano, a soccer journalist who specializes in the transfer market.

The report also mentioned Inter Milan were not in a position to make a sale and Martinez would continue to be one of the key players in Antonio Conte's squad. Martinez’s current deal with Inter Milan is due to expire in 2023 and his representatives have agreed to meet the club board once again at the end of the ongoing summer transfer window to discuss contract renewal.