KEY POINTS

  • Antonio Conte is happier now after meeting with Inter Milan management
  • Conte is satisfied with the new player signings
  • The Inter coach criticized club management and owners last month over the lack of support

Inter Milan weathered a big storm that almost saw the exit of Antonio Conte. Though there were anxious moments last season, it appears the 51-year-old has worked things out with the club's management and is ready to start fresh after their meeting last month.

Conte revealed during a press conference before their Saturday match against Fiorentina that all is calm over at San Siro, with the club now having direction. 

"In full agreement with the club, we decided on a strategy that took into account the views of the owners and the delicate circumstances that all clubs are experiencing," the coach said Friday. "We’ve been trying to seize opportunities but keep these aspects in mind. We’re working calmly and harmoniously in the knowledge that we want to build on the credibility that we earned last year."

One issue that Conte had pointed out in his criticism of club management last month was the lack of support, particularly for getting new talent, Sky Sport reported. Inter hardly made any moves at the time, but all that has changed with three new faces for Nerazzurri: Arturo Vidal, Aleksandar Kolarov and Achraf Hakimi.

Conte believes Vidal and Kolarov can bring in the experience, while Hakimi is a young player oozing with potential.

But of course, there is more to come. Conte stressed the need to improve and that is now apparently in play.

"I’m happy because I know that we are continuing a journey together and we all want Inter to do well. This is the most important thing for the club, team and fans," he said.

As mentioned in a previous report, Inter wanted to add more offensive stock this season. They had several targets, and two of them were from Chelsea FC. But the pitches made for N’Golo Kante and Olivier Giroud were thumbed down. They eventually settled for Vidal, but Conte may not yet be done.

Inter is believed to be considering Chris Smalling of Manchester United, but only if Milan Skriniar moves to Tottenham. No permanent deal has been agreed with Smalling. If nothing progresses, La Gazzetta dello Sport reported that Inter could come in and get him.

However, Inter Milan sporting director Piero Ausilio recently said that they will not let Skriniar go after defender Diego Godin's move to Serie A rivals Cagliari earlier this week. 

"I can confirm that there has been a meeting with the Tottenham manager, but we have already let Godin out and we are not thinking of depriving ourselves of a player like Skriniar," he told Sky Sport Saturday. "He is not on the market."

Antonio Conte and his Inter side are back in competitive action this weekend for the first time since losing the Europa League final last month Antonio Conte and his Inter side are back in competitive action this weekend for the first time since losing the Europa League final last month Photo: POOL / Ina Fassbender