An Apple iPhone (it is unclear whether it is the iPhone 4 or the newer 4S) spontaneously combusted aboard an Australian Regional Express airline yesterday, filling the aircraft's cabin with a significant amount of dense smoke, accompanied by a red glow, the Daily Mail reported.

The airline confirmed the incident and said it occurred when a flight number ZL319, from Lismore to Sydney, was landing.

Fortunately, there is no report of injuries to the owner of the device or any of the passengers. It is believed that the incident is another in a long line of problems with the iPhone's battery. The Australian Transport Safety Bureau and Civil Aviation Safety authorities are investigating.

Apple iPhone users have been facing similar problems for some time now and this latest incident seems to suggest the growing seriousness of their battery-related concerns.

In accordance with company standard safety procedures, the Flight Attendant carried out
recovery actions immediately and the red glow was extinguished successfully, the airline reported in a press release.

All passengers and crew on board were unharmed, the airline confirmed.