• The victim went missing Sunday evening
  • Her parents began searching for her
  • A search was conducted in the house of her uncle
  • Her body was found in his house's fodder dump

A man has been arrested for raping and killing his 5-year-old niece after the child's body was recovered from his house.

The incident happened in the northern Indian state of Uttar Pradesh. The police arrested a 42-year-old man from Banda district Monday for allegedly raping and strangling his 5-year-old niece to death.

The officials have not revealed the identity of the accused. According to a report from Republic World, he already confessed to the crime.

The little girl went missing from her home Sunday evening, Bhaskar Mishra, the investigating officer, said. She had gone out to play with other children but was not seen after, the victim's parents said in their police complaint. When the girl still failed to come home after a long time, her parents began searching for her.

"During further investigation, it came to notice that the girl was last seen near her relative's house in the locality," police said as per Times of India.

The victim's parents and relatives searched the house of her uncle and discovered the girl's body hidden in its fodder dump. The villagers then brutally assaulted the uncle and someone in the crowd alerted the police.

The police took the accused into their custody. He currently faces murder and rape charges.

The victim's body was sent for an autopsy. Medical examination revealed that the girl had strangulation marks on her body.

The infant’s father called 911 after he received threat message from the suspect about the scene he would see when he comes back home. Pixabay

A similar incident took place last week when a 6-year-old girl was raped by her grandfather and uncle in the Indian state of Madhya Pradesh. The accused men reportedly bribed the girl with snacks and 30 cents to keep her silent about the assault which had been witnessed by the victim's toddler brother. The incident came to light when the girl's mother confronted her about her behavioral changes. Police arrested the two men on charges of sexual offense against a minor.