KEY POINTS

  • Manchester United is expected to finally seal a deal for longtime target Jadon Sancho, a report suggests
  • Borussia Dortmund wants $28 million in add-ons aside from the amount United is prepared to offer, the report adds
  • Ole Gunnar Solskjaer reportedly isn't prioritizing the England winger's transfer

Things may finally be going well for Manchester United in its reported pursuit of Jadon Sancho, but Ole Gunnar Solskjaer may be rooting for other prospects, a report has suggested.

It has become widely known in the sport that Manchester United has been tailing Sancho once again. Sancho’s steep price once prevented the Red Devils from securing a deal, but Borussia Dortmund has reportedly lowered the England winger’s value.

Revealing Manchester United’s latest stance on Sancho, The Athletic’s Laurie Whitwell reported, citing unnamed sources, that the Red Devils are now confident about meeting Borussia Dortmund’s lowered demands for the 21-year-old, even if the Bundesliga side includes an “additional” amount in achievable add-ons.

“Negotiations have begun in earnest over a price for the 21-year-old and United have been given encouragement that Borussia Dortmund will accept a lower amount than last summer’s asking price,” Whitwell wrote.

Dortmund and Manchester United are now open to finding a “solution” that works for both parties after discussions stalled last year due to Sancho's €120 million ($146 million) price tag, sources told Whitwell.

According to the journalist, Manchester United is prepared to offer £80 million ($113 million), which he said was an amount that was “initially communicated in Germany as being amenable to Dortmund.” However, Dortmund allegedly wants an additional £20 million ($28 million) in achievable add-ons, according to Whitwell.

“There is still work to be done on the fee, with the two clubs apart on valuation at this stage,” Whitwell added.

International Business Times could not independently verify this information.

Dortmund's Norwegian forward Erling Braut Haaland (L) and Dortmund's English midfielder Jadon Sancho
Dortmund's Norwegian forward Erling Braut Haaland (L) and Dortmund's English midfielder Jadon Sancho pose with the trophy after winning the German Cup (DFB Pokal) final football match RB Leipzig v BVB Borussia Dortmund, in Berlin on May 13, 2021. MARTIN ROSE/POOL/AFP via Getty Images

Despite the seemingly progressing Sancho transfer deal, Red Devils boss Solskjaer reportedly isn’t that thrilled about the idea of landing the Borussia Dortmund ace this summer. Instead, the Norwegian manager is prioritizing a move for world-class defenders, Real Madrid’s Raphael Varane and Atletico Madrid’s Kieran Trippier, according to a report obtained by Football365 from Sport.

Solskjaer is said to have figured that the loophole in Manchester United’s game is on the defensive end and not on its attack. It is becoming apparent that Solskjaer’s plan is to beat the likes of Manchester City and have the best defensive squad in England by bringing in Varane and Trippier, the report added.

Both Varane and Trippier have proven that they are two of the best defenders in the sport today. However, they are also both approaching the final year of their contracts, and if the two Madrid sides would consider dealing the pair, this summer could be their last chance to secure a transfer fee.

MEET IBT NEWS FROM BELOW CHANNELS

© Copyright IBTimes 2022. All rights reserved.