The mother of an 8-week-old baby boy was charged with murder and attempted murder Tuesday for viciously stabbing the infant to death and trying to kill his elder sister. 

The incident took place in Belfast in Northern Ireland. Cops were called to a residence in the Ardoyne area, and the infant was declared dead on the scene, Irish Times reported. The baby's mother, identified as Raluca Tagani, 29, also attempted to murder her 2-year-old girl. The little girl was rushed to a hospital in critical condition. 

The deceased child was identified as Liam O’Keefe. The father of the children was visiting London and wasn't present in the house at the time of the crimes, the Irish Post reported. The motive for the stabbing was not revealed.

"To all the neighbors and the full community for all their help and support, I really appreciate it all," the man told the outlet during a vigil outside the family's home. "Holding this vigil means the world to me. I am truly heartbroken but it gives me the strength to know you are all giving so much love and support.

"Despite the efforts of the emergency services the baby was sadly pronounced dead at the scene. The other young child was taken to hospital and remains in intensive care," Sky News quoted Detective Chief Inspector Chris Millar as saying. "Police were called to the house shortly after 8 pm last night and discovered the injured baby and another injured child in the house." 

"Our thoughts are with the baby's family, who are being supported by family liaison officers. While our investigation is at an early stage I can confirm that at this stage, we are not looking for anyone else in relation to this tragic death," Millar added. 

"Police have now confirmed a murder investigation into tonight’s tragic incident in Ardoyne with one person arrested. Our thoughts are with all those involved. I again appeal to everyone to be mindful & not to post or share anything which would add further distress,” North Belfast elected representative John Finucane tweeted.

Tagani was arrested on the scene. She appeared before the Belfast Magistrate's Court on Friday morning. 

pocket knife Representational image Photo: Pixabay