A 22-year-old Pennsylvania woman was arrested for allegedly killing her 5-month-old baby and stabbing her ex-boyfriend with a knife.

The accused was identified as Corrie Cowlay-Saunders, ABC-affiliated news outlet WNEP reported. The police responded to the house of Cordell Faltz -- the child's father -- after he informed them he was stabbed by his ex-girlfriend.

Faltz told the police Cowlay-Saunders broke into his house and attacked him. She allegedly stabbed him in his neck and jaw, and then escaped the scene in his car, the Patriot-News reported.

While driving, Cowlay-Saunders crashed the car into a fence near Railway Street and Maxwell Place. According to the police, she told officers at the scene her baby was dead. The police then responded to her house and found the infant dead.

Cowlay-Saunders, who was taken to UPMC Williamsport Regional Medical Center, allegedly said, “I killed my daughter,” the Patriot-News reported.

The child's cause of death was not revealed by the authorities.

Cowlay-Saunders faces charges including homicide for her daughter and attempted homicide for Faltz. Her bail was denied, and she is being held at the Lycoming County Prison.

She will appear in court for a preliminary hearing on Jan. 21. Other charges placed against her include aggravated assault, endangering the welfare of a child, recklessly endangering another person, possession of an instrument of crime, burglary, criminal trespass and unauthorized use of a vehicle.

"God, it just tears me up. I'm a grandparent, well, a parent and a grandparent,” Joe Matruder who lives next door, told WNEP. “And it's like, you know, just one of those things you just couldn't fathom, you know that somebody could to that.”

In another recent incident, a 28-year-old man was taken into custody for assaulting his 3-month-old child. The child suffered 26 rib fractures and five broken bones in his legs. The accused was charged with 31 counts of alleged aggravated child abuse. The child's parents took the baby to the emergency room because he was crying, and unable to move his right leg. After tests, it was revealed that he had "multiple bilateral posterior breaks [sic.] to his ribs that were in various stages of healing... These breaks [sic.] showed they were in three different stages of healing," Gillette News-Record reported at the time.

crime scene
Representative image Wikimedia Commons