A 15-year-old pregnant girl in India died after allegedly taking abortion pills given to her by a quack, local media reports said Friday.

The teenager was impregnated by a 27-year-old man, who used to drop her off at her school in the southern state of Tamil Nadu.

The duo was reportedly in a physical relationship and later learned the girl, who has not been identified, was pregnant. The man – identified only by his first name Murugan – then went to a quack and got some abortion pills. He later gave the pills to the girl, who consumed them, The Times of India reported.

When the duo were on a two-wheeler, the girl – who was four months pregnant – fainted. She was rushed to the Thanipadi Government Hospital where the doctors declared her dead, according to News 18 [Google Translate showed].

The body of the student was taken to the Thiruvannamalai Government Medical College Hospital for an autopsy. The student's parents Venkatraman filed a police complaint, in which they blamed Murugan for killing their daughter by giving her abortion pills.

The police arrested 27-year-old Murugan and charged him under the POCSO Act (Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act). The police said Murugan's friend, who accompanied him to the quack, was also taken into custody. However, the charges placed against him remain unknown.

A search is currently underway for the quack who gave the abortion pills to Murugan.

The exact cause of death of the girl will be known after the autopsy report is released.

In April, a pregnant woman in the southern state of Telangana died after her husband allegedly forced her to drink toilet cleaner. The accused married the victim four years ago. When the woman got pregnant, her husband started harassing her. According to local media reports at the time, it is believed the husband was unhappy as he thought his wife was "not good looking." On the day of the tragedy, an argument broke out between the married couple. The husband reportedly forced his wife to drink toilet cleaning liquid. After consuming the chemical, the woman fell extremely ill. She was taken to a hospital where she received treatment, but died later.

Pregnant woman Pixabay