Update as of 9:40 p.m. EST: Two people are dead, including the alleged gunman, following a shooting at the El Paso VA Health Care System in Texas Tuesday night. The gunman, whose identity has not been released, shot and killed a doctor at the VA clinic before turning the gun on himself, USA Today reported, citing an anonymous Defense Department official. The doctor's identity also was withheld. “All other VA patients and staff are safe,”  Maj. Gen. Stephen Twitty, commanding general of Fort Bliss, said at a news conference, according to the Washington Post.

Original story:

A West Texas military hospital was on lockdown Tuesday night after an “active shooter” was confirmed in the area, according to several media outlets. The El Paso Times reported a doctor at the El Paso VA Health Care System was shot by the gunman, who then took his own life. CNN reported two individuals were injured and the shooter was killed by a self-inflicted wound. Authorities told NBC News the situation is "under control." Officials told the El Paso Times the information is preliminary and the investigation is ongoing.

The entire hospital complex, including the adjacent the William Beaumont Army Medical Center and the Fort Bliss Army base, were placed under lockdown, Fort Bliss spokesman Gil Telles told the Associated Press.

The shooting was initially reported at the WBAMC, but officials told the El Paso Times no shooting occurred there. The VA clinic is attached to the WBAMC through a corridor, and the shooter appears to have entered one of the two buildings, according to KTSM news station in El Paso.

Witnesses said there’s a heavy police presence in the area and traffic has come to a stop. Police are assisting Fort Bliss officials with traffic control, according to KFOX14 El Paso.


Four people were killed and 16 wounded in April 2014 at Texas’ Fort Hood Army base by Spc. Ivan Lopez, who then took his own life. Lopez had mental health issues and was being treated for depression and anxiety.

In May, former VA employee Neil Moore wounded an employee and threatened others with a gun at the Dayton VA Medical Center in Ohio. Moore was diagnosed with schizophrenia while in the Marines in 1977, according to Dayton Daily News.