• Australian teacher Anthony Stott was hit and killed by a truck early Monday 
  • Police believe that Stott may have been detained, tied up and beaten by a couple 
  • Police found several items in couple's farmhouse, including a knife in a pond
  • It is unclear how Stott ended up at the farmhouse

Authorities believe that a 43-year-old Australian teacher was forcibly detained by a couple before he was hit and killed by a truck.

Shortly after 7:00 a.m. Monday, emergency services were dispatched on M1 highway near Cudgera Creek after receiving reports that a man was hit by a truck.

Tweed and Byron Police District officers found Anthony Stott, a St. Peter's Lutheran College Springfield teacher, dead, said the New South Wales Police Force in a Facebook post.

police line
Representation image of a crime scene. Gerd Altmann/ Pixabay

The 36-year-old truck driver was taken to Tweed Heads Hospital for mandatory testing, added the post.

Further investigation on Stott's death led officers to approach a 38-year-old man and a 46-year-old woman at their farmhouse. While searching the property, police found several items, including a knife, in a pond.

The couple was arrested and charged with detaining a person with intent to obtain advantage. They were refused bail and is scheduled to appear before a local court Monday, said CNN.

Nine News meanwhile reported that authorities believe that Stott was tied to chair and was beaten by a golf club before his untimely passing.

“Anthony had only just returned to the country from a trip in Peru, landing in Sydney earlier last week, then at Brisbane Domestic Airport on Sunday afternoon,” according to Nine News, citing a statement from Tweed/Byron Acting Superintendent Brendon Cullen.

Police recovered Stott's abandoned vehicle, a silver BMW, near the scene around 2:00 a.m. Monday.

They are claiming that Stott drove south, away from Brisbane. Prior to his death, he may have been detained, tied up and beaten by the couple. It is still unclear how Stott ended up at the farmhouse, and whether he was released or escaped, said CNN.

“Piecing together his movements in the 24-hours prior to his death is crucial and I urge anyone who may have any information to contact Crime Stoppers,” said Cullen.