Afghan protests
Afghan demonstrators burn a booth during a protest in Kabul, Afghanistan June 2, 2017. Reuters

Two days after a huge suicide bomb ripped through a secure area of Kabul on Wednesday morning during rush hour, killing at least 90 people and wounding 400, hundreds of protestors gathered at the bombing site Friday. The angry demonstrators, many of whom were carrying pictures of the victims, made their way to the gates of the Afghan presidential palace, reports said.

The residents of Kabul demanded President Ashraf Ghani's resignation, leading to a clash with the police. The security forces used water cannons and tear gas to block the protestors — some of them who were throwing stones — from entering the road leading to the palace, Reuters reported.

Read: Massive Explosion In Kabul Near Foreign Embassies Kills, Wounds Dozens

The son of Alam Ezidyar, deputy speaker of Senate, was shot dead during the protest while he was in his car.

Apart from that, at least eight others were wounded in the clashes that turned violent, the New York Times reported citing local news reports. Witnesses at Emergency Hospital, one of Kabul’s main trauma centers, said six people were dead after the protests.

People were quick enough to criticize the government on social media for using violent methods to restrain the protests.

There were regular shots of gunfire as the police forced the angry mob to step back from the palace area.

Protestors wanted immediate resignation of the current government in Afghanistan, Reuters reported. "The international community has to put pressure on them and force them to resign," said Niloofar Nilgoon, one of a relatively large number of women taking part in the protest. "They're not capable of leading the country."

“No one can stop people from protesting, and they used force. They rammed military vehicles into crowds setting up protest tents,” said Gul Haider, a former warlord from the northern part of the country and military commander who joined the protests after he heard news of the clashes. “If we wanted to push our way in, we would have reached the palace.” He also said that he had seen dozens of wounded at the hospital from the protest and six dead bodies, the Times reported.

Protester Amir Arya said a number of his friends were wounded by police as they tried to block the protesters from advancing, according to a report.

"Some of them were beaten by police with sticks and some others detained," he said. "This act of police and government proves that peaceful demonstration would not be useful anymore."

A shopkeeper named Mohammad Anwar said that four members of his family were killed in the bombing and he wanted a change of leadership. "We are calling on President Mohammad Ashraf Ghani to resign," he said. The protestors also demanded for Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah to step down.

Gen. Hassan Shah Froogh, Kabul police chief, told the Associated Press that two protesters were killed and 25 police officials were wounded by rocks thrown from demonstrators.