Floyd Mayweather Jr. (41-0, 25KO) is set to face 24-year-old WBC Welterweight Champion, Victor Ortiz (29-2, 22KO) on Sept. 17 in Ortiz's first title defense.

Mayweather's choice to fight southpaw Ortiz sparked speculation that he may be preparing for a mega fight with Manny Pacquiao (53-3, 2 Draws, 38KO).

Last week, when Mayweather was confronted about whether or not Ortiz was a possible precursor for Pacquiao, he stated, As a smart fighter, I just can't take over a year and a half off and not get a tune-up bout. I deserve to at least get a tune-up bout.

Mayweather's comment annoyed Ortiz who feels he is being overlooked as a tough opponent.

I'm getting kind of tired hearing he's fighting Pacquiao next, Ortiz shot back. No, no, no. He's fighting me next. Me, not Pacquiao.

But Mayweather is not so sure that Pacquiao is tougher than he is.

When Pacquiao defeats my leftovers, you guys praise him, said Mayweather. All he's fought are Floyd Mayweather's leftovers. When he beat Cotto, he wasn't at the top of his game. He was already beaten up from a guy who had to put a cast in his hand (Antonio Margarito). Pacquiao beat a drained Oscar De La Hoya. I respect Pacquiao for fighting my leftovers.

Mayweather plans on winning the belt from Ortiz and moving on.

We only want to fight the biggest and the best out there, and Manny Pacquiao, yes, you're next, said Mayweather.

Mayweather's comments are music to the ears of the boxing fans. Questions of whether Mayweather has ducking Pacquaio have dogged Mayweather, who has been plagued by personal problems that have caused his inactivity in the sport.

Pacquiao, meanwhile, will fight Juan Manuel Marquez (53-5, 1 Draw, 53 KO)  of Mexico in November at MGM Grand. It will be the third time the two have fought. The first bout was in 2004 and ruled a draw, and the second was a split decision victory in 2008.