A new video emerged over the weekend showing the wreckage of the Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 moments after it crashed into a field in Ukraine last July after it was allegedly shot down while flying over the country's war-torn eastern region. The video was purportedly taken by a couple driving past the ravaged Boeing 777 plane, which had 298 people on board.
The video reportedly shows the couple being disturbed after seeing the debris. The woman, recording the video, is also heard saying that they should drive away, Express News reported. The video is titled “It’s raining bodies,” and the couple is heard discussing body parts of some of the victims. A thick plume of smoke is also seen rising from the charred remains of the plane.
"What is this all at all? Plane? Helicopter? People. Oh f---, oh f---," the woman is heard saying in the video, according to Express News, while the man with her says: "Someone's leg, did you see that?"
After a few seconds, the man is again heard saying: "Oh f---. There are other remains over there. F---. So many people. Oh my God, there is a lot more people."
After the deadly crash, pro-Russian rebels in the eastern part of Ukraine reportedly offered assistance to affected families of the victims to visit the site. "We, of course, are ready to provide all possible assistance for relatives who want to come to honor the memory of the loved ones who died," Alexander Kofman, foreign minister of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic, said, according to the Daily Mail, adding: "There is no particular difficulty in obtaining documents, but we will assist anyway."
Last week, families of 18 victims filed a $900 million lawsuit against Igor Girkin, a leader of the Donetsk People’s Republic in eastern Ukraine, for plotting to bring down the plane. While pro-Russian separatists have been accused of shooting down the plane, they have denied the allegations.
Meanwhile on Monday, Russia called for the U.N.'s International Civil Aviation Organization to play a larger role in investigating the Flight MH17 crash, and said that Moscow was worried the probe was not “[transparent] in its organization and work methods, which may have a negative impact on its outcome."
Last month, Australia, Belgium, Malaysia, the Netherlands and Ukraine -- the countries leading the investigation -- jointly put forward a proposal for the establishment of an international tribunal that would prosecute those suspected of downing the plane, but Russia reportedly rejected the idea.
A final report of the investigation into the crash is set to be released in October by Dutch investigators. According to a preliminary report released last September, the plane was brought down by a “large number of high-energy objects that penetrated the aircraft from outside.”