Michael Jackson's personal doctor was found guilty on Monday of involuntary manslaughter in the singer's death following a six-week trial that captivated Jackson fans around the world.
Dr. Conrad Murray had pleaded not guilty to giving the Thriller singer a fatal dose of the powerful anesthetic propofol, which was ruled as the main cause of the pop star's June 25, 2009 death.
Prosecutors had argued Murray was grossly negligent in administering the propofol to help Jackson sleep. Defense attorneys claimed Jackson delivered the fatal dose of propofol to himself.
Murray, 58, did not testify at the Los Angeles trial. He was led away in handcuffs when the judge ordered him held in custody ahead of sentencing on November 29. he could face up to four years in prison.
Murray swallowed briefly on hearing the verdict but otherwise looked impassive. Outside the court, more than 100 Jackson fans erupted in cheers.
The jury deliberated for about nine hours before reaching its unanimous verdict.
Jackson was found lifeless at his Los Angeles mansion on June 25, 2009, age 50, about three weeks before he was scheduled to begin a series of concerts in London aimed at returning the pop star to the limelight.
Paramedics tried to revive the singer and rushed his body to a hospital where he was pronounced dead. His death was ruled to have come from an overdose of sedatives and propofol, which is normally used in surgery.
Murray admitted giving Jackson a small dose of propofol to help him sleep. But his lawyers argued at the trial that the singer was dependent on the drug and that Jackson likely gave himself a extra, fatal dose of the powerful anesthetic, as well as swallowing a handful of sedatives, without Murray's knowledge.
Prosecutors argued Murray was guilty of gross negligence for administering the powerful drug in a home setting, failing to monitor Jackson, delaying calling emergency services, and failing to tell medical personnel he gave the singer propofol.