David Mejia, an attorney for one of the two boys who pleaded guilty to the crime, told the Associated Press that the motion to hold Dietrich in contempt was withdrawn Monday. Mejia added that the motion was no longer needed since Dietrich, of Louisville, had already publicized the case via the Internet.
Dietrich was reportedly drinking at a gathering last August when she passed out. She became aware of the assault months later and found that photos were taken and were being circulated. The attackers pleaded guilty to sexually assaulting her and will be sentenced next month. They struck a plea deal that Dietrich believes is a slap on the wrist for their crime. Details of the plea deal have not been released, but a judge can either accept the terms or reject or modify them.
Dietrich tweeted the names of the boys out of frustration and said, I'm not protecting anyone that made my life a living hell.
Her action was a violation of a juvenile court order, requesting that the boys' names remain confidential. She had been facing a $500 fine and 180 days in jail if found in contempt.
Dietrich's story led to multiple petitions, asking that the judge not send her to jail. More than 60,000 signatures were gathered, but Mejia told the AP that it wasn't the public outcry that led to Monday's decision to spare Dietrich jail time.