Drama, blood and conflict -- that’s what fans of the hit CW series, “The Originals,” can expect to occur in the very first episode of Season 2. Surprised? Not exactly. But what will shock viewers is what Julie Plec, creator behind “The Vampire Diaries” spinoff, has up her supernatural sleeve. To prepare viewers for the intense upcoming season of “The Originals” check out 9 things fans should know before tunning in for the wild upcoming series premieres on Monday, Oct. 6:
1. Season 2 Synopsis -- The synopsis for the sophomore installment was released via Twitter and explained that the storyline will focus around Klaus (Joseph Morgan) and Hayley (Phoebe Tonkin) “scorching the earth” in order to make New Orleans a safe home for their daughter, Hope, who was thought to have been killed during the Season 1 finale. But whilst baby proofing NOLA, the new parents will have to face their own inner demons as well as the evil lurking throughout their city.
2. Family Reunion -- Another large aspect of Season 2 is the return of Mikael (Sebastian Roche), who has returned as Davina’s (Danielle Campbell) vampire-seeking puppet, and Esther (Alice Evans), who has risen from the dead and inhabited the body of a teenage witch.
According to reports, while Mikael is hell-bent on seeing Klaus dead, Esther has become consumed with a “twisted” and “disturbing” plan to reunite her fractured family -- “a plan that involves untold torment not only for the Original siblings, but for any and all of their loved ones.”
"I think our hope was that this would be the season about the return of mother and father,” EP Michael Narducci explained. “There’s a lot of family stuff that we need to get out. I think that’s the big theme of this season is the past returning to haunt you and enemies who are even more dangerous because they know you intimately.”
3. Rebekah Returns -- Despite rumors, Narducci revealed Holt’s character would play a vital role in the new season. “I’m not going to try to hide anything,” he said. “We’re going to see Rebekah, we’re going to see Baby Hope and that’s going to be an important thing. As to what Esther’s plan for that baby is…Esther thinks that the baby died. Esther doesn’t know where Rebekah is."
It was also revealed during Comic-Con when Holt’s character would be making her Season 2 debut. Fans should watch the first three episodes if they want to see what Auntie Bek’s is up to in the sophomore installment.
4. Kol Is Back -- Since we’re on the topic of returning family members, Kol (Nathaniel Buzolic), will make his reprisal in episode 2 of the new season.
5. New Faces -- Fans can anticipate to meet a lot of new characters in Season 2.
- Davina’s dreamy new love interest, Kaleb, will be played by “Teen Wolf” actor Daniel Sharman.
- “Devious Maids” actor, Colin Woodell, will be portraying the character of Aiden, who has been described as a lieutenant of New Orleans’ leading werewolf pack ... who isn’t afraid to team up with witches.
- A character named Ingrid has been rumored to stir up trouble when the “barren young woman” seeks out a witch for a pregnancy dilemma.
- Sonja Sohn of “The Wire” will be playing a witch named Lenore in Season 2. She’s described as a “powerful, salt-of-the-earth” kind of witch who will make a name for herself as Klaus’ new enemy.
6. Crossover -- Plec teased fans in August to anticipate a crossover to occur in the first half of the season. It was later revealed that the “Vampire Diaries” star associated with the conjoining of dramas would be Nina Dobrev.
“There’s a lot of people that could cross over, and when we plan our crossovers, we like to think of the most clever way to integrate ‘The Vampire Diaries’ mythology into ‘The Originals’ mythology,” Plec explained to E! Online. “There was a character’s name introduced a long time ago in Season 3 in association with Klaus and Elijah (Daniel Gillies) and how they became vampires and a girl that they both loved a long time ago who was the original doppelgänger, Tatia (Nina Dobrev).”
Plec added that Dobrev’s character will appear in flashbacks throughout episode 5, which is set to air Nov. 3. “There’s lots of secrets and scandal and romance and terrible tragedy attached to her character,” the EP continued. “We’ll get to go back into the past to see how that all played out.”
7. Werewolf-centric Plot -- Plec previously revealed to Entertainment Weekly that Season 2 would be a howling good installment.
“Season 2 is going to begin with what we call the werewolf occupation, which is Francesca thinks she’s in charge and has been actually carrying on making rules and exiling vampires and doing all kinds of nasty things, so the first thing on the table is of course going to have to be revenge,” she explained. “And then if and when that’s completed, the question is what becomes of those wolves? There’s a lot of wolves that Klaus was aligned with that were all looking to Hayley as their queen, but now she’s no longer a werewolf, she’s a hybrid, and there’s no love lost there for that species.”
8. Who Will Fill Hayley’s Shoes? -- Or should we say paws? Now that Hayley is out of the running for queen, who will take her place?
“Will it be Jackson? Will it be Oliver? Will Hayley be able to win her way back? What’s going to solidify these wolves in one group, or now that they’ve won the Quarter, are they going to start in-fighting as well?” Plec teased.
9. Sneak Peeks: Check out the revealing promo videos for the new season below and get a taste of just how dark Season 2 will be when episode 1, “Rebirth,” airs Monday, Oct. 6.
What are your predictions for Season 2 of "The Originals"? Sound off in the comments section below with your theories on the new season before the premiere airs on Monday, Oct. 6, at 8 p.m. EDT.