A new suspect has reportedly been identified in the terror attacks that rocked France’s capital last week. French authorities are investigating a man from a Paris suburb as another suspected accomplice of Amedy Coulibaly, who stormed a kosher supermarket in Paris last week and killed four people. The man may have driven Coulibaly to the supermarket Friday, the French newspaper Le Parisien reported Wednesday, citing police sources.
French security officials are still searching for France’s most-wanted woman, Hayat Boumeddiene, who is Coulibaly’s common-law wife and suspected accomplice. Authorities now believe Boumeddiene, 26, fled to Syria via Turkey on Jan. 2 before the attacks, the Wall Street Journal reported Saturday, citing "people familiar with the matter." Turkish police are reportedly tracking her movements, a Turkish prime ministry source told CNN Saturday.
Initial reports had said Coulibaly and Boumeddiene burst into the Hyper Cacher market on Friday and seized hostages. Police killed Coulibaly and freed 15 hostages, but media reports said Boumeddiene had escaped. Initial reports had also said Boumeddiene was believed to be with Coulibaly when he supposedly killed a French policewoman in Paris Thursday. Boumeddiene was questioned by police in 2010 about Coulibaly, according to Agence France-Presse.
Coulibaly had reportedly threatened to kill five hostages if French police attacked the Kouachi brothers, an official told the Associated Press. The brothers, Saïd and Chérif, allegedly stormed the Paris offices of the satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo and killed 12 people Wednesday. Witnesses of the deadly rampage said they heard the gunmen shout, “You tell the media it was al Qaeda in Yemen,” in perfect French. Both brothers died during a shootout with police in northern Paris on Friday, after three days on the run.
Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula claimed responsibility for the Charlie Hebdo attack in a video Wednesday. The terror group located in Yemen said the late al Qaeda chief, Anwar al-Awlaki, ordered the attack, which had been allegedly planned for years. The group also praised the murderous siege at Hyper Cacher market but did not claim responsibility.
A man purporting to be Coulibaly pledged allegiance to the Islamic State terror group in a video uploaded to Twitter on Sunday by an unknown jihad supporter. Coulibaly also said in the video that he and the Kouachi brothers synchronized their attacks, according to the Guardian.