At 4:43 p.m. ET, peace and order were restored in Hollywood because BlackBerry service was finally restored for celeb CrackBerry addicts.
A global service outage spread to the United States on Wednesday morning, prompting outrage and frustration among BlackBerry subscribers who expressed themselves on social networking sites, even saying they were considering switching to an iPhone or Android device. However, concerns have been put to rest as emails and messages started flooding in Wednesday afternoon, at least in the U.S., according to Reuters.
Earlier in the afternoon, Research in Motion, the manufacturer of the BlackBerry, staged a conference call to answer media questions about the outage, which started overseas but spread to the U.S. BlackBerry Chief Technology Officer David Yach said the outages spread globally because of the backlog of undelivered messages, but Yach had no answer for when the backlog would be unclogged.
The worldwide outage began on Monday around 10:20 a.m. BST, which resulted in limited access to e-mails, Web browsing, and messaging services such as BlackBerry Messenger, or BBM.
RIM said it had resolved the issue late Monday, but Tuesday morning, millions of BlackBerry subscribers woke up to find service still disrupted. With problems like RIM's not happening with Apple's iPhone or Google's Android devices, the BlackBerry has taken a major popularity hit.
The failures that occurred in Europe, the Middle East, Africa, India, Brazil, Chile, Argentina and the U.S. were caused by a core switch failure within RIM's infrastructure. It's still unclear if other countries outside the U.S. have had services restored.
Related Article: Blackberry Outage: Will the RIM Phone Be All But Extinct Soon?