A judge has ordered that a man accused of burning Robbie Middleton in a deadly gasoline attack when he was a boy pay the family more than $150 billion in damages.
The sum is reportedly the largest jury verdict in a personal injury case in the United States.
According to KHOU.com, Middleton's parents sued Donald Collins and have said that he is the one who doused their son in gasoline before setting him on fire. Robbie Middleton was burned over 99 percent of his body in 1998 incident. He was 8 years old at the time of the incident.
Robbie Middleton died earlier this year, just before his 21st birthday, from type of skin cancer that resulted from the burns. He reportedly spent most of his life in Shriners Burn Hospital in Galveston.
Collins was never criminally prosecuted in the case, according to KHOU.com.
It was death-bed video deposition the Middletons took with then to court in which Robbie Middleton described the gasoline attack. In the video Robbie Middleton said Collins, his former neighbor, who was 13 at the time, sexually assaulted him a couple weeks before lighting him on fire, according to KHOU.com.
Though the Middletons many never see the more than $150 billion, they told ABC 13 that they hope the judgment handed down Tuesday will bring about justice.
I wasn't expecting it to turn out as well as it did, Colleen Middleton said. It tells me that they understood that he was a precious human being and he didn't deserve what happened to him.
Collins, who has denied attacking or assaulting Robbie Middleton, wasn't at the civil trial.
ABC 13 reported that Collins has been serving time for the aggravated sexual assault of another eight-year-old boy since 2001.
I never expect to see a penny of the money and not at all, Colleen Middleton told ABC 13. The whole reason we did this today was to send a statement to Montgomery County that they need to criminally prosecute him.