Articles by NYSE
- 1B Cell Users And No iPhone In India's Hot Mobile-Apps Market
September 15 2012 1:34 PM
Only two countries are members of the 1 billion mobile phone users club: China and India. In the latter, Nokia and Samsung are battling for the top spot, but their big worldwide rival is an Indian no-show: Apple and the iPhone. Here's why and what's at stake.
- Top After-Market NYSE Movers (AutoZone, Main Street, Owens & Minor, YPF, Accretive, Chiquita Brands, Chesapeake Utilities, Alliance One)
September 15 2012 1:26 AM
The top after-market NYSE gainers Friday were AutoZone, Main Street Capital Corp, Owens & Minor, YPF SA and FelCor Lodging Trust Inc. The top after-market NYSE losers were Accretive Health, Chiquita Brands International, Chesapeake Utilities Corp, Alliance One International and Weight Watchers International Inc.
- Four Things That Could Lift The Dow Jones Industrial Average Even Higher
September 14 2012 11:26 PM
The Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJI: DJI) gained another 53.51 points, or 0.40 percent, on Friday to close at 13,593.37, the highest level in nearly five years. However, many uncertainties remain. Here are four factors that could make -- or break -- the Dow's continued ascent.
- Walmart Apologizes For Turning Away Florida Kids' September 11 Tribute
September 14 2012 2:28 PM
Walmart Stores Inc. (NYSE: WMT) issued an apology to Florida elementary school students who were turned away from singing "God Bless America" at the chain's Pembroke Pines location to pay tribute to the victims Sept. 11, 2001 attacks.
- NFL’s Dan Marino Loses Millions: Why Did Digital Domain Go Bankrupt?
September 14 2012 1:43 PM
NFL Hall of Famer Dan Marino is one of the major investors who lost millions when the visual-effects company filed for bankruptcy last week. The Oscar-winning company, founded in 1993 by James Cameron, had created effects for such movies as "Titanic," "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" and the "Trasnformers" franchise.
- Global Auto Industry Outlook: Auto Sales To Grow 6% In 2012
September 14 2012 12:40 PM
Auto demand in global markets will continue its upward trend in 2012 and 2013 despite regional disparities. Nomura analysts forecast double-digit growth in the U.S. and Southeast Asia, but expect European demand to shrink 7 percent.
- Apple To Reap Windfall On iPhone 5 As Component Cost Is $167.50, Techs Say
September 14 2012 12:39 PM
Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL), the world's most valuable technology company, should reap another windfall from selling the iPhone 5 because component costs are only around $167.50, engineers at UBM TechInsights reported. Apple will sell the product for as much as $399 and charge wireless carriers about $450.
- India Opens Gates To Foreign Retailers, Broadcasters, Airlines Amid Slowing Economy
September 14 2012 12:24 PM
The government of India, the world's 10th largest economy by gross domestic product, passed wide-ranging laws on Friday expanding foreign investment in the retail, broadcasting and airline sectors, opening its doors to companies like Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (NYSE: WMT) amid slowing growth.
- How Washington Subsidizes Home-Buying For The 1%: Report
September 14 2012 6:49 AM
Government-owned Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, which were set up to help blue-collar and middle-class workers buy their own homes at lower interest rates, are also helping the nation's one percent to purchase luxurious homes.
- FedEx, General Mills, Oracle, Adobe: Earnings Reports To Watch, Sept. 18-21
September 14 2012 6:13 AM
Analysts expect companies in the S&P 500 to post negative revenue growth rate in the third quarter. Meanwhile, profits are expected to fall 2 percent.
- Forget His Work At JCPenney - The Gap Hired Michael Francis For His Time At Target
September 14 2012 6:13 AM
To help figure out why The Gap hired Michael Francis, it's better to ignore his brief time as president of beleaguered J.C. Penney and look to his prior experience at Target.
- Top After-Market NYSE Movers (Accretive, Lloyds Banking, Och-Ziff Capital, Manitowoc, Beazer Homes, Equus Total, Eagle Materials, Proto Labs)
September 14 2012 12:48 AM
The top after-market NYSE gainers Thursday were Accretive Health, Lloyds Banking Group Plc, Lloyds Banking Group Plc, Lloyds Banking Group Plc and Beazer Homes USA. The top after-market NYSE losers were Western Asset Premier Bond Fund, Equus Total Return, Eagle Materials, Proto Labs and Health Management Associates.
- iPhone 5 Plays: 5 Ways To Ride Tide Without Buying $700 Apple Shares
September 13 2012 4:47 PM
Want to play the iPhone 5 craze created by Apple Inc. (Nasdaq: AAPL) and not pay the price for Apple's near-$700 shares. Think of some of its suppliers like Arm Holings (Nasdaq: ARMH) and Qualcomm (Nasdaq: QCOM), or even Corning (NYSE: GLW) whose products are designed into the product.
- Silver's Summer Rally To Gain 'Legs' From Fed's QE3 Initiative
September 13 2012 4:01 PM
The Federal Reserve's third round of quantitative easing, or QE3, will benefit silver and gold prices by weakening the dollar and increasing risk appetite among investors, according to a report by UBS. But silver will gain the most.
- EADS-BAE Merger Would Create Very Diverse Aerospace Company - Here's What It Would Produce
September 13 2012 1:37 PM
EADS and BAE are once again talking of a possible merger that would create a $45 billion company with more than 200,000 employees. The vehicles the two companies make that would end up under one umbrella in the event of a mega-merger range from the world's biggest passenger plane to satellites and submarines.
- iPhone 5: What Items Were Missing In Apple’s New Smartphone?
September 13 2012 11:11 AM
When the first customers for the iPhone 5 from Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL), the world's most valuable technology company, get their new products next Friday, chances are they’ll rave over the latest model, the upgrade for the nearly year-old iPhone 4S. But some anticipated items are absent, like an upgrade to Siri, NFC and biometric security.
- Is China’s Stimulus For Real? Economists Lower 2012 Growth Forecasts
September 13 2012 7:02 AM
China's economic slowdown is expected to reach its nadir in the third quarter, leaving growth for 2012 likely to fall below 8 percent, a level unseen since 1999. While top Chinese leaders remain confident that the world's second-largest economy still has "ample strength" in either monetary or fiscal domains to propel economic growth, economists caution that the $158 billion stimulus unveiled by China may not be all it's hyped up to be.
- Facebook, Wal-Mart, Walt Disney Face Fresh Patent Suits From University Of California
September 13 2012 5:02 AM
Facebook Inc. (FB), Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (NYSE: WMT) and Walt Disney Co. (NYSE: DIS) face fresh patent suits from a University of California patent licensee, which sued some of the biggest U.S. companies previously, Reuters reported.
- Top After-Market NYSE Movers (K12, Pall Corp, HFF, Dole Food, Spartech, Halcon Resources, Genesee & Wyoming, Nautilus)
September 13 2012 1:15 AM
The top after-market NYSE gainers Wednesday were K12 Inc, Pall Corp, HFF, Inc, National Bank of Greece and Dole Food Co. The top after-market NYSE losers were Spartech Corp, Halcon Resources Corp, Genesee & Wyoming, Chesapeake Lodging Trust and Nautilus, Inc.
- US Homebuilder Stocks Surge, But Will It Last?
September 12 2012 5:42 PM
One of the best-performing sectors this year was also one of the hardest hit by the recession: homebuilders, whose stocks have outpaced the broader market with a modest rebound in home prices and increased demand for properties, but much of recovery has unevenly benefited the luxury sector.