Articles by Somalia
- China's Navy Gathers Good Will Off Somalia
July 04 2012 11:54 AM
Chinese, Indian and Japanese navies in the Gulf of Aden show a sense of pragmatism and cooperation among their forces, but wariness of China's military is unlikely to lift anytime soon in East Asia.
- More Aid Workers Kidnapped In Kenya Refugee Camp
June 29 2012 3:19 PM
Dadaab lies near Kenya's border with Somalia, and members of the Somali rebel group al Shabab have carried out attacks and kidnappings in Kenya in the past.
- Seeking Promised Land Of South Africa, Migrant Tragedies Mount As Smugglers Profit
June 28 2012 5:50 AM
Migrants seeking to escape from the Horn of Africa are often transported south by smugglers whose motives are far from humanitarian.
- At Least 47 Migrants Found Dead After Boat Capsizes In Lake Malawi
June 21 2012 7:28 PM
Dozens of men, women and children from Ethiopia died in the cold waters of Lake Malawi on Monday night. They were on an overcrowded boat with 60 passengers onboard. All are feared dead, and 47 bodies have been found so far.
- Selling The Farm: Human Rights And The Real Price Of Progress In Ethiopia
June 18 2012 2:32 PM
A new report shows that the Ethiopian government, caught up in an ambitious, nationwide agricultural overhaul, is facilitating the mistreatment and forced relocation of small-scale farmers in Omo Valley.
- German Turk Arrested For Nairobi Bomb Attack, Al Shabaab Link Suspected
June 13 2012 11:12 AM
Tanzanian officials have arrested a German national for his suspected involvement in a bomb attack in Nairobi last month.
- Another Hawk Down: What George Saitoti?s Death Means for Kenya
June 12 2012 9:41 AM
The helicopter crash that killed Kenyan Security Minister George Saitoti on Sunday morning was a foggy event in more ways than one.
- Kenya Asks US/EU To Join Fight Against Al Shabab
June 12 2012 8:58 AM
Washington, which put a $33 million bounty on the heads of six al Shabab commanders last week, said on Sunday that it will continue to provide assistance to the African Union Mission in Somalia, of which Kenya is a part, but did not elaborate.
- Children Tortured, Killed And Used As Human Shields In Syria: UN
June 12 2012 5:12 AM
Children in Syria were tortured, executed and used as human shields by the forces loyal to President Bashar al-Assad's regime during military raids against rebels, a U.N. report released Monday said.
- Somali Rebels Say Obama's Whereabouts Is Worth 10 Camels, Clinton's 20 Chickens
June 11 2012 2:35 PM
Less than a week after the State Department put a $33 million bounty out for the capture of six high-ranking Somali rebels, al Shabaab has retaliated by offering its own reward for President Barack Obama.
- U.S. Threatens Somali Officials With Sanctions
June 11 2012 8:42 AM
The American-backed transitional government of Somalia is set to hand over power to a new civilian government by Aug. 20
- U.S. Places Bounty On Somali Terrorist Group Al Shabab
June 07 2012 8:49 AM
Bounties totaling $33 million are being offered by the State Department, including $7 million for al-Shabab's founder, Ahmed Abdi aw-Mohamed
- International Aid Money Disappeared, Diverted Or Squandered In Somalia: Report
June 01 2012 1:05 PM
A new report from the World Bank reveals a pattern of aid mismanagement in Somalia. In 2009 and 2010, approximately $130 million in funds delivered to the transitional government seem to have disappeared into thin air.
- Al Shabab Is On The Move, For Better Or For Worse
May 31 2012 5:00 PM
Ending six years of terror is clearly in Somalia's best interest, especially as the transitional government's mandate nears its end, but scattering the rebels could realize Washington's fear that al Shabab will move deeper into Africa.
- Al-Shabab Threatens Terrorist Attack Against Nairobi Skyscrapers
May 31 2012 11:44 AM
The Somali militant Islamist group al-Shabab has made another threat to target buildings in Nairobi, Kenya, following a bomb attack Monday in the city's downtown.
- Somali Peace Talks Highlight The Rise Of Turkey As Global Player
May 31 2012 11:20 AM
After a long period of instability and conflict, we now have ahead of us an opportunity for genuine peace and security, Turkey's Deputy Prime Minister Bekir Bozdag said on Thursday.
- Somali President's Convoy Ambushed by Rebels
May 29 2012 3:32 PM
President Sheikh Sharif Ahmed was travelling in an armored convoy in Elasha town, between the capital Mogadishu and the former rebel stronghold of Afgoye, when he came under attack.
- 'Drones-Only Approach' -- How Obama Chooses Whom To Kill
May 29 2012 12:41 PM
Backed by a muscular interpretation of executive power, the Obama administration has made armed drones the centerpiece of its counter-terror arsenal, stepping up strikes in Pakistan and expanding the campaign into Yemen and Somalia.
- Nairobi Blast Caused By IED, Terrorist Group Suspected
May 29 2012 12:10 PM
A blast that ripped through a building in downtown Nairobi Monday, injuring 33 people, was caused by an improvised explosive device, Kenyan authorities said Tuesday.
- 'Somali Terror Plot' Uncovered In Denmark
May 29 2012 11:56 AM
The Danish Security and Intelligence Service (PET) arrested two men Monday evening in connection with an alleged terror plot, who have suspected links to the radical Islamist group Al-Shabaab in Somalia.