Articles by Somalia
- Somali Al-Shabab Joins Al-Qaida, Zawahiri Announces
February 09 2012 3:20 PM
Al-Qaida's leader announced in a video Thursday that the Somali militant group al-Shabab has formally joined the Islamic extremist network, fusing two groups that have been targets of America's counterterrorism efforts.
- Rapper 50 Cent Arrives in Somalia [PHOTO]
February 09 2012 1:34 PM
The rap star arrived in Dolo, Somalia yesterday, to bring attention to the World Food Program's efforts in Somalia and Kenya
- Somalia: Al-Shabaab Islamist Group Joins al-Qaeda, Says Ayman al-Zawahiri [VIDEO]
February 09 2012 1:13 PM
Al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri was seen in a video posted to jihadi forums today welcoming the militant Somali group al-Shabaab into the international terrorist organization.
- Ethiopia PM May Pardon Politicians, Journalists, If Jailed 'Admit Guilt'
February 08 2012 7:12 PM
Ethiopian Prime Minister Meles Zenawi announced Wednesday that he may pardon journalists, politicians, and dissidents detained under an 2009 anti-terrorism law, while refuting claims that the arrests were politically motivated.
- Somalia: Car Bomb in Mogadishu Kills 11
February 08 2012 5:14 PM
A suicide car bomb kills 11 outside a Mogadishu cafe. Al-Shabab claims responsibility.
- Navy SEAL Commander Bill McRaven Told to 'Get the Hell Out of the Media'
February 08 2012 11:28 AM
The commander of the Navy SEALs, the elite special forces unit who killed Osama Bin Laden and rescued Jessica Buchanan, is being criticized by a retired Lt. General of the armed forces for his media spotlight and publicizing special operations tactics.
- Somalia: Famine Over but Crisis Not Averted, Says U.N.
February 03 2012 11:39 PM
An excellent harvest, good rains and food deliveries by numerous aid agencies have helped end famine in Somalia but food stocks could run out again in May, the United Nations has said.
- Somalia Famine is 'Over,' But Millions Still in Danger
February 03 2012 2:35 PM
The famine is Somalia is officially over, the United Nations said on Friday.
- Kansas Immigration Law Would Authorize Illegal Workers, Bucking National Trend
February 03 2012 12:00 PM
While Republican states like Arizona and Alabama have passed laws to keep immigrants from finding work, Kansas is exploring a plan that would allow undocumented immigrants to work in industries that face labor shortages.
- Somalia: Al-Shebab Bans Red Cross Aid Work
January 31 2012 10:55 PM
Somalia's Islamist Al-Shebab rebels have banned the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) from operating in parts of the country it controls.
- Western Hostages Freed From Somalia Return Home
January 31 2012 12:09 PM
Last week, U.S. Special Operations Forces went in to rescue the two hostages from their Somali kidnappers on orders from President Barack Obama.
- Veterans Ask West Point to Cancel Speech by General for Anti-Muslim Remarks
January 26 2012 1:18 PM
A coalition of veterans say retired Lt. Gen. William Boykin's inflammatory rhetoric is incompatible with Army values, and only puts our troops in danger.
- Somalia SEALs Rescue, Shrinking Pentagon Budget Underscore Shifting Warfare Methods
January 26 2012 12:48 PM
The Navy SEALs strike that rescued two Western aid workers on Tuesday, coming as the Pentagon begins detailing how it will adapt to massive budget cuts, reflects a shifting emphasis toward elite, nimble units that can carry out targeted operations.
- Jessica Buchanan: Rescue Triggered by Failing Health?
January 25 2012 1:30 PM
She could hardly talk about Africa without tears in her eyes.”
- Jessica Buchanan, Poul Thisted Rescued by Navy Seal in Somalia Raid
January 25 2012 1:04 PM
Jessica Buchanan, a 32-year-old American aid worker, and her Danish colleague Poul Hagen Thisted, 60, were rescued Wednesday, by Navy's Seal Team 6, a U.S special forces team, after pirates held them hostage for months near the Somali town of Adado.
- Somalia: U.S. Raid Rescues Two Western Hostages
January 25 2012 8:33 AM
No U.S. soldiers were hurt in the escapade.
- 'We Can Be Heroes': DC Superheroes Fight Famine in Africa
January 23 2012 5:52 PM
To fight hunger and famine in Africa, Time Warner and DC Entertainment, including its Justice League superheroes Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and others, have created a campaign called We Can Be Heroes.
- Al-Shabab Pushed out of Mogadishu by Somalian Forces, AU Peacekeppers
January 20 2012 11:47 AM
Heavy fighting broke out in Somalia's capital of Mogadishu Friday as African Union peacekeepers backed al-Shabab Islamist militants to the outskirts, seizing rebel bases beyond the city's limits for the first time.
- Ethiopia Blames Eritrea for Killing of European Tourists
January 18 2012 3:39 PM
Ethiopia blamed the small neighboring country of Eritrea in the killing of five European tourists on Tuesday.
- Somalia Oil Exploration: Northern Region of Puntland Starts Drilling
January 17 2012 1:49 PM
Oil drilling is under way in two locations in Somalia's northern Puntland region, Africa Oil has said.