A two-month-old infant was hospitalized with serious injuries after the father tossed the baby into the air and dropped the baby to the floor. The incident took place in Toledo, Ohio, on Saturday (April 25).

Police responded to Mercy Health St. Vincent Medical Center around 10 p.m. Saturday after receiving information that an infant was admitted with serious injuries. The infant’s mother told the responding officers that she had left the victim and four other children in the care of the infant’s father, 21-year-old Marquise Moore, and gone out shopping.

An affidavit states that while looking after the five children, the man was tossing and catching the infant but lost his balance resulting in the victim falling to the floor. After the mother returned home four hours later, she rushed the infant to the hospital. Medical examination revealed that the infant had suffered two skull fractures and brain bleeds due to the impact of the fall.

The father was taken into custody and charged with felony child endangerment. He was scheduled to be arraigned in Toledo Municipal Court on Monday. Lucas County Children’s Services were investigating the incident and working to ensure the safety of the other children. It was, however, unclear if the other four children belonged to the couple.

The incident comes a month after a Washington man was arrested after his girlfriend’s infant daughter was found with multiple broken bones. Police responded to a home after receiving a call from the Child Protective Services for a welfare check. The officers found an infant with “significant bruising to her face.” Medical examination revealed that the infant had multiple broken bones all over her body. The infant’s mother’s boyfriend, 20-year-old Tre'vere Brown, was taken into custody for suspicion of second-degree assault of a child.

In another incident last month, a Washington man was arrested for allegedly fracturing the skull of his newborn son. Michael Cookson returned home from work and got into an argument with the newborn’s mother. The woman went for a walk following the argument and when she returned home, she couldn’t find Cookson and their son anywhere. Moments later, Cookson returned home leaving the boy in his car seat. The woman heard the child crying and found him in the car swollen face. Medical tests revealed the boy had “significant brain swelling,” and internal bleeding. Cookson was arrested and charged with aggravated battery to a child.

baby feet
Representational image of baby's feet. A father stabbed his two children in Ilford, London, before stabbing himself. Christopher Furlong/Getty Images