Iran’s Top Security Chief Escalates Rhetoric. Warning Aimed At US Allies.
Egypt has stepped in to revive the stalled peace talks between the US and Iran.

Iran has escalated its tirade against the proposed sanctions through which the US aims to "collapse" its economy.
The top leader of Iran's security body has threatened its neighboring countries against being part of an arrangement that would facilitate Washington's plans to further cripple Tehran's already ailing economy and stoke unrest, the Associated Press reported on Sunday.
The development comes as Egypt has stepped in to revive the stalled peace talks between the US and Iran. Tehran has also assisted some vessels carrying oil cargo through the contentious Strait of Hormuz, even as France and Saudi Arabia are toying with the idea of holding talks on bypassing the waterway.
"If (Trump) wants to do something, we will retaliate in a seismic manner," Mohsen Rezaei told the state broadcaster Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting, in an interview aired on Saturday.
Rezaei, who was named to head Iran's Supreme National Security Council earlier this month, accused the US of increasing global nuclear insecurity with months of war, according to the AP report.
This is Rezai's most extensive public statement since taking over. The defiant tone has been interpreted by many as a hardening of stance by Tehran amid efforts to bring back Iran and Washington to the negotiating table.
Rezai also said Iran would not hesitate to target oil-shipping routes out of the Persian Gulf, considered as alternatives to the Hormuz Strait, if neighboring countries join the economic war against his country.
"We will target their interests," Rezai said, referring to neighboring countries that have aided Washington.
Rezai's statement comes in the backdrop of US President Donald Trump's stated objective to increase Tehran's misery by squeezing its economy, which is already in a shambles.
This has prompted Iran to try and rally international opinion against what it sees as the perceived discriminatory tariffs and sanctions regime, backed to the hilt by the Trump administration, as a tool to spur a rallying cry against US actions globally. Tehran hopes that such a step would, in effect, put the US administration in an isolated position globally.
Rezaei acknowledged that Iran is holding discussions with Oman, located on the other side of the Strait of Hormuz, over management of the waterway. A fifth of the world's energy supplies passed through the Strait before the conflict. The hardline security chief also said a fees would be imposed to facilitate shipping transport through the Strait.
Iran has made all efforts to retain control of the Strait as an effective bargaining tool after the conflict erupted in February. It has attacked vessels passing through it, but has also facilitated navigation by friendly countries. The US has enforced a naval blockade of the Strait to thwart Iran's plans.
Egypt's foreign ministry said it held discussions with Iran to bring Tehran and Washington back to the negotiating table to resolve the Middle East conflict.
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and Egyptian counterpart Badr Abdelatty also discussed the Iranian-Omani talks, the ministry said.
© Copyright IBTimes 2026. All rights reserved.



















