• Andreas Pereira joined Man Utd's youth set up in 2011
  • He is currently on loan at Flamengo
  • Pereira has expressed his wish to remain with the Brazilian club permanently

Manchester United are reportedly set to sell midfielder Andreas Pereira to Flamengo permanently.

Pereira has been at Flamengo on loan since the 2021 summer. The Brazilian club will pay Manchester United around $16 million for Pereira, Portuguese media outlet UOL Sport reported.

A deal was agreed after Flamengo sent club chiefs to England last weekend to discuss a deal with the Old Trafford side, according to Teamtalk.

The two clubs have agreed to terms for 75% of Pereira's economic rights, which is believed to be a common transfer model in South America. However, the Premier League does not allow clubs to be involved in the co-ownership of players. Therefore, it is still unclear where the remaining 25%t of the player's economic rights will go.

Pereira, who has 18 months left on his current Manchester United contract, is expected to sign a deal with Flamengo until 2026.

A native of Brazil, Pereira joined Manchester United's youth set up in 2011. He made 75 competitive appearances for the Red Devils, across two spells. The midfielder was sent on loan at Granada, Valencia, Lazio and Flamengo during those spells. Lazio tried to sign Pereira permanently last summer, but talks with Man Utd did not progress.

Andreas Pereira
Andreas Pereira scored his first Manchester United goal against Ipswich in the last round of the Capital One Cup. Getty Images

Last year, Pereira insisted that he wanted to stay at Flamengo permanently.

"My desire has always been to stay here at Flamengo, and now we are going to do everything. We are going to talk to President Landim and Marcos Braz to make this possible. Of course, I have a feeling that I owe the fans a title," said Pereira in an interview.

Meanwhile, during the 2022 January transfer window, Manchester United sent a few players on loan until the end of the season. Donny van de Beek joined Frank Lampard-managed Everton, while Amad Diallo moved to Scottish club Rangers on a six-month loan.

Manchester United blocked the transfer of Jesse Lingard, leaving the English forward frustrated. However, interim boss Ralf Rangnick later revealed that the board decided not to allow Lingard to leave because of Mason Greenwood's unavailability.