david sweat released
David Sweat is officially in police custody. People cheer during a rally in support of law-enforcement officers after the capture of Sweat, in Malone, New York, June 29, 2015. Reuters/Chris Wattie

David Sweat, one of two inmates who broke out of an upstate New York prison and sparked a massive manhunt last month, is in police custody Sunday after being discharged by the Albany Medical Center in the state capital. The prisoner is now being held by the state Department of Corrections and Community Supervision, a Facebook post by the medical center revealed.

Sweat was undergoing treatment at the hospital after being apprehended by New York State Police June 28, three weeks following the escape he and Richard Matt made from the Clinton Correctional Center in Dannemora June 6. Sweat was shot while being capture near the Canadian border by state police Sgt. Jay Cook. The police officer shot Sweat twice in the torso. New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo reported the erstwhile fugitive was in "stable" condition at a press conference conducted in the wake of the capture.

The prisoner was first sent to Alice Hyde Medical Center and reported to be in critical condition. Sweat was then moved to the Albany Medical Center. The hospital reported June 30 that Sweat was in fair condition. "His condition has been upgraded to fair, an improvement from his condition on Monday (June 29), which was serious," the hospital said in a Facebook statement. Its statement also noted Sweat would be kept under hospital care for "at least a few days."

Sweat was convicted of murder in 2002.. The now 34-year-old inmate was sentenced to life in prison without parole, the Los Angeles Times reported. He must continue to serve out his life sentence in prison, but he could also face additional penalities such as a potential seven years in solitary confinement.

Authorities shot and killed fellow escapee Matt a week before Sweat was caught. Preliminary autopsy reports showed the 48-year-old man had three gunshot wounds to the head, the Associated Press reported. Matt was sentenced to life in prison in 2007 after committing numerous offenses. In 1997, Matt was accused of murdering and dismembering a man, but he fled to Mexico before authorities could arrest him. After escaping prison in June, Sweat and Matt had wanted to hide in Mexico, CNN reported.