KEY POINTS

  • The Foxes plan to offer Jonny Evans a new deal
  • Rodgers happy with Evans performance
  • Uncertainty looms when Leicester City hosts Crystal Palace on Saturday

Leicester City is aware that Jonny Evans still has 12 months left in his current deal but it appears they will try to put a longer lock on the 32-year-old center-back. Since he was acquired from West Bromwich, the Northern Irish football player has been performing well under the watch of Brendan Rodgers. Evans has made 31 Premier League starts this season.

Evans was acquired back in 2018 for $4.3 million from West Bromwich. The investment has so far paid off and now The Foxes are making sure he does not go anywhere by next summer. Talks are reportedly set to get underway to extend his stay at King Power Stadium, the Telegraph reported. Rodgers is confident that a new deal can be closed soon.

"It's something we're comfortable with. He's a brilliant player and I've got a really good relationship with him," Rodgers said.

Rodgers seems bent on keeping Evans in the fold, calling him an outstanding player who has played at the highest level. Though Evans has been turning in a good performance. Such has not helped the cause of a struggling Leicester club. The Foxes have been struggling for goals since football action resumed. They settled for draws against Brighton and Watford since the restart. They also fell to Chelsea FC Sunday, exiting the FA Cup.

Now, Leicester City needs to make sure that they stay in the chase for a Champions League qualifier. They face Everton on Wednesday and need a win badly. Accomplishing that will not be easy with the team playing without midfielder James Maddison. The 23-year-old football player suffered a hip injury last Friday although Rodgers claims it is not serious.

Jonny Evans Manchester United defender Jonny Evans will be hoping to start against Swansea to mark his signing of a new long-term contract. Photo: Reuters

"He's had an injection, had some treatment on it, and we'll see how that looks," Rodgers said.

But before thinking that far, Leicester City will face a pressing matter after their game against Everton. According to Leicester Mercury, the Premier League is waiting to hear from The Foxes if they have a contingency plan in place due to the lockdown. There has been a rise in positive COVID-19 cases and the government several places in the area have been ordered to close. Measures were announced on Monday, raising questions on whether the scheduled game between City and Crystal Palace on Saturday will push through.  If not at King Power Stadium, a change of venue may happen. But this still depends on how COVID-19 situation pans out.