crime scene
Representational image of a policeman keeping a watch near a police cordon of the crime scene in the Shakti Mills area, where a female photographer was gang-raped overnight, in Mumbai, India, Aug, 23, 2013. INDRANIL MUKHERJEE/AFP/Getty Images

In order to teach her harasser a lesson, a 47-year-old woman, along with two associates, chopped off the genitals of a man in Indian City of Mumbai on Tuesday.

Tushar Pujare, 27, was allegedly in love with the woman and despite her being married was harassing her for sexual favors since the last few months. On Tuesday, she chopped off his genitals and then took him to a hospital to save him. She then confessed to the crime. The woman and her two associates were arrested and charged with attempt to murder.

Police said the two were neighbors and that the man worked with the loan department of a bank.

“Pujare was in love with the married woman and had been pestering her for sexual favors. He had been stalking her despite his advances being rejected,” the police said, local daily the Times Of India reported.

The woman, in her statement to police, claimed that about a fortnight ago, Pujare told her husband that he liked her and wanted to marry her. This led to a fight between the husband and wife after the former suspected her of having an affair.

“Following a fight with her husband, the woman got angry and decided to teach Pujare a lesson. She contacted two youngsters from the area—Tejas Mahatre (22) and Pravin Kenia (25) —and sought their help. On Tuesday, Mhatre and Kenia summoned Pujare for a meeting at an isolated place on the pretext of a loan. When Pujare reached the spot, the duo manhandled him,” the police complaint stated.

“Mhatre and Keniya beat up Pujare. Then the woman whipped out a knife and chopped off his private parts. The trio then rushed Pujare, who was shouting for help, to Life Care Hospital in Dombivali East. He was later transferred to AIIMS Hospital, Dombivali East where he is being treated in the intensive care unit. His condition is still critical,” the complaint further stated, local daily Mumbai Mirror reported.

Dr Milind Shirodkar, director of AIMS hospital, said, “The condition of the patient is critical. He is still unconscious and the next 48 hours will be crucial for him.”

The woman initially told police that she had committed the crime alone. However, when the police refused to believe her, she told them about her associates who helped her commit the crime.

“On the basis of the woman’s confession, we arrested Mhatre and Kenia too,” said Gajanan Kabdule, senior inspector at Manpada police station.

The knife used in the crime was recovered from the scene and all the three are in police custody.