Ah, Father’s Day — the day where sons and daughters share their appreciation for the male figure in their lives through steak cookouts and an assortment of ties.
But we’re paying homage to all the dads out there a little differently. In celebration of the summer holiday, taking place Sunday, June 19, we’re saying thank you to all the fabulous fathers by honoring the Grade A dads on television. From the hilarious and kind “Modern Family” character Phil Dunphy to the fiercely protective “Walking Dead” dad Rick Grimes, we’re shinning a spotlight on the small screen pops that deserve a little more than the gift of socks.
1. Louis Haung (Randall Park), ABC’s “Fresh Off the Boat” — This dad is as optimistic as he is driven. To give his children and wife a better life, Haung uproots his family to give them the “American Dream” — which involves running a western-themed restaurant in Florida.
2. Danny Tanner (Bob Saget), Netflix’s “Fuller House” — For eight seasons of “Full House” this neat-freak of a father proved just how much he loved his kids by bending-over-backwards for his three girls. And in the pilot episode of “Fuller House,” Danny goes above and beyond for his kids once again when he gives his house to his recently widowed daughter and her kids.
3. Bob Belcher (H. Jon Benjamin), Fox’s “Bob’s Burgers” — OK, so maybe he makes his kids work in his restaurant everyday after school but that’s only to show them how to be responsible — a quality his kids will thank him for later!
In addition to teaching his kids the meaning of hard work, he also shows his children how to respect and love one another. A clear example of Bob’s love for his kids is when he dresses up as an Equestranaut at a cosplay event to get a doll back for his daughter. Talk about devotion!
4. Andre Johnson (Anthony Anderson), ABC’s “Blackish” — Dre Johnson is a man who respects his wife, adores his children and has more “lesson-learned” stories than one could ever retain. To sum it up, he is TV’s greatest dad!
5. Rick Grimes (Andrew Lincoln), AMC’s “Walking Dead” — We’ve seen the epic lengths fathers will go for their children but Rick takes the cake. This walker-slaying dad would do just about anything, including biting the throat of another human, to protect his kids.
6. Phil Dunphy (Ty Burrell), ABC’s “Modern Family” — Phil may be corny and more often than not clueless, but this goofy dad deserves Father of the Year for the unconditional love he has for his children.
7. Ragnar Lothbrok (Travis Fimmel), History Channel’s “Vikings” — Family is everything to this Nordic King, which he has proven throughout the History Channel series, currently on it’s fourth season. Seriously, don’t mess with the Lothbrok clan or you’ll end up suffering a gruesome death — like King Horik (Donal Logue) after he threatened to kill Ragnar’s beloved sons.
Who is your favorite dad on television? Sound off in the comments section below.