Batman fans get to return to Gotham City Monday night. “Gotham” Season 2 premieres on Fox, and the new season will bring plenty of changes. Not only will the show introduce new characters and storylines, but it will also change the storytelling format. Check out what you should know before tuning into the superhero drama below:
1. Goodbye Villains of the Week – Ben McKenzie, who plays Jim Gordon, noted that the show would be more serialized this year. "There will never be a case of the week hopefully ever again and it will always have a serialized outline, which opens up the world to a much richer, deeper sort of relationship between all of the characters,” he told International Business Times.
2. Jerome is Back —The most likely candidate for the Joker will have plenty of screen time. Jerome (Cameron Monaghan) is shown wreaking havoc on the GCPD in a trailer for Season 2.
3. New Villains – Plenty of new bad guys will attack Gotham this year, and they’ll be familiar to DC Comics readers. Theo Galavan (James Frain) and Tigris (Jessica Lucas) will be introduced in the Season 2 premiere. The show's writers previously confirmed that Clayface, Mad Hatter and Mr. Freeze would also be introduced this year. Firefly will also be introduced this season, but the typically male character will be played by a woman, Michelle Veintimilla.
4. Less Detectives – It looks like Detective Montoya (Victoria Cartagena) and Detective Allen (Andrew Stewart Jones) won’t be hanging around Gotham as much. The two are no longer series regulars.
5. New Hero – There will still be a few good people fighting for Gotham City. Gordon will have help from Michael Chiklis, who will join Season 2 as Capt. Nathaniel Barnes. However, the new ally will see the law as more black and white than Gordon does.
6. Love For Gordon? – Morena Baccarin was upgraded to series regular as Dr. Leslie Thompkins. That could mean we’ll be seeing more of her love story with Gordon, but it also indicates that we’ll be seeing plenty of her workplace, Arkham Asylum.
7. More Leading Characters – Showrunner Bruno Heller revealed that the show won’t just focus on a few leading characters in Season 2. “It is called ‘Gotham,’ not 'Gordon' or 'Penguin,'” Heller told the Hollywood Reporter. “It's a show about the whole city. It's a world that will roll on for years, in theory, so we have time to tell all these stories properly, and not have to use every character in every episode. If you don't see your favorite in one episode, he or she will probably appear soon enough.”
8. The Pre-Batcave – Bruce (David Mazouz) found his father’s secret cave in the Season 1 finale. Although it’s not the batcave yet, what’s hidden there will affect Bruce’s life. “It’s going to change everything in his life,” Mazouz teased to TV Guide. “I would say 90 percent of everything that happens to [Bruce and Alfred] in Season 2 is because of that room. I’m not going to tell you what, but whatever he finds will change his relationship with Alfred.”
“Gotham” Season 2 premieres Monday at 8 p.m. EDT on Fox.