Borussia Dortmund have offered to triple Robert Lewandowski’s salary, while they continue to be open to offers for the striker from Manchester United and several of their Premier League rivals. The Poland international has come firmly back into United’s plans after Borussia Dortmund insisted that they would not allow him to fulfill his dream move to Bayern Munich. While Lewandowski has said that he expects Dortmund to change their mind and honor what he claims is an agreement, Dortmund’s stance appears clear.
Indeed, Dortmund are now proposing to triple the 24-year-old’s salary for the final year his contract from its current relatively paltry €1.5 million (£1.3m) to €4.5 million (£3.8m) as a sweetener for denying him a transfer to Bayern, according to Bild. Yet, there is little doubt that they would also relish the opportunity to recoup a fee for the striker this summer from any club that is not their German rivals.
Lewandowski still appears to have his mind set on joining the Bavarians, but other proposals could be considered. The Guardian has relayed stories from Poland that Lewandowski’s agent, Cezary Kucharski, will be in London on Friday to potentially entertain proposals for his client. United, Chelsea and Manchester City could all express an interest. It is United, though, that have the longest-standing interest having made first an inquiry last summer.
Manchester United are reportedly more advanced in their attempts to sign Benfica defender Ezequiel Garay. Stories of a deal for the Argentina center-back have circulated for some time, but Portuguese publication Record now claims that a gentleman’s agreement is in place to take him to Old Trafford. Such speculation has been taken seriously by the bookmakers, with Sky Bet, earlier on Wednesday, closing the market on the 26-year-old joining United this summer. Real Madrid could also be interested in a move to take Garay back to the Spanish club, where he played before moving to Portugal in 2011.
United have been linked with another central defender playing his trade in Portugal in Porto’s Eliaquim Mangala. The 22-year-old recently made his debut for France and is highly rated across Europe. But United are likely to have to move fast should they want to land the player, with Chelsea keen on a deal, according to the Daily Mirror.
Continue Reading Below
Meanwhile, Manchester United’s attempts to re-sign Cristiano Ronaldo look increasingly unlikely to come to fruition. Real Madrid president Florentino Perez continues to insist that the Portugal star will be extending his contract and, indeed, will finish his career at the Bernabeu. Big-spending Monaco do not appear ready to accept that proclamation, however.
The Independent reports that the newly promoted Ligue 1 side are readying a €100 million (£85m) for the 28-year-old. Ronaldo’s representatives are said to have been in contact with Monaco and the club could make a bid if he continues to stall on signing a new deal. While Ronaldo may prefer a return to Old Trafford, it is hard to envisage United competing with the finances Monaco are capable of putting forward.