Articles by New York
- Is Santander's Mexican IPO The Death Of 'Goose' That Lays Golden Eggs?
September 04 2012 2:32 PM
Banco Santander's announcement that it would be spinning off nearly one quarter of its Mexican unit in an initial public offering later this month was greeted by the markets as a seemingly win-win-win proposition. But the move by the large Spanish bank only highlights the increased dependence Iberian banks have had on their overseas branches over the past few years and how, in an effort to now package off those units and sell them, they could be killing the hen that's been laying the golde...
- Colombian Drug Lord Griselda Blanco's Life Of Violence Comes Full Circle
September 04 2012 2:00 PM
The two assassins had approached the Colombian drug lord Griselda Blanco on motorcycles as she exited a butcher shop in Medellin, where they delivered two fatal bullets into her skull and left the 69-year-old's body lying in the street.
- Hollywood’s Incredible Shrinking Audiences
September 04 2012 1:41 PM
This past weekend, Hollywood studios received bad news. The number of tickets sold during Hollywood's all-important summer season -- the first week in May through Labor Day weekend -- shrank to 532 million in 2012. That's off 4 percent from last year and on track to be the lowest summer attendance in almost 20 years, according to preliminary estimates from Hollywood.com.
- VIDEO: Michael Strahan Joins ‘Live!’ as Kelly Ripa's Co-Host, Replaces Regis Philbin
September 04 2012 1:37 PM
Michael Strahan has officially replaced Regis Philbin as Kelly Ripa’s co-host for the newly retitled “Live with Kelly and Michael.” Here's a video of Rippa introducing the former Giants player.
- Syria: Killings Spike To Record Level In August; Red Cross Seeks Entry
September 04 2012 12:38 PM
The International Committee of the Red Cross announced on Tuesday that they will be expanding their efforts in Syria with the help of the Syrian Arab Red Crescent to help the hundreds of thousands of displaced refugees. Meanwhile, the US drags its heels and the UN's efforts have amounted to nothing to stem the violence.
- Nokia Bets The Company: New Windows 8 Phones Key To Recovery
September 04 2012 12:38 PM
Ailing Finnish smartphone maker Nokia Oyj (NYSE: NOK) is betting the company that two new Lumia smartphones based on the new Windows 8 OS from Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT), the world's biggest software company, will be international hits.
- Front Row at New York Fashion Week: Round Up of Celebrities Last Season [PHOTOS]
September 04 2012 11:46 AM
What famous faces were sitting front row at New York Fashion Week last season? View our gallery of celebrities sightings.
- iPhone 5 News: Apple May Release Event Invitations Within Next Two Days [RUMORS]
September 04 2012 11:39 AM
It's been long reported that Apple's next big product event, which is said to unveil the new iPhone 5, a new "iPad Mini," and even new iPod and Mac models, will allegedly occur on Wednesday, Sept. 12. If company history repeats itself, it's possible that Apple will release the press invitations eight days prior to the event's date, either today (Tuesday) or Wednesday.
- Is Louis Vuitton Trying To Swallow Hermès? Hermès Says 'Oui'
September 04 2012 11:38 AM
Consider this a case of Hermès versus Louis Vuitton that doesn't involve trying to figure out which $3,000 designer handbag to buy.
- Pippa Middleton To Make An Appearance At New York Fashion Week?
September 04 2012 11:16 AM
It comes as no surprise that celebrities, ranging from Nicki Minaj to Kim Kardashian and everyone in between, will make appearances at New York Fashion Week, sponsored by Mercedes-Benz. But could it be that Pippa Middleton, the sister of the Duchess of Cambridge, will show up?
- Jets News: Rex Ryan's Job in Jeopardy as Tim Tebow and New York Begin the 2012 Season?
September 04 2012 11:15 AM
Could Rex Ryan be fired if the Jets don’t make the playoffs? Tim Tebow and New York are set to begin the 2012 season on Sunday.
- Sheryl Crow on Lance Armstrong, May Have Been the 'Smoking Gun' in a Federal Investigation
September 04 2012 11:09 AM
Sheryl Crow may have provided incriminating evidence against Lance Armstrong in the USADA's probe into illegal doping charges, according to new reports.
- US Open Tennis 2012: Watch Live Stream Online of Djokovic, Roddick and Sharapova in Tuesday’s Action; Preview
September 04 2012 10:12 AM
Watch live coverage of day nine's play at the US Open, plus get a full preview of the pick of the action.
- Organic Food No More Nutritious Than Non-organic: Study
September 04 2012 9:07 AM
Researchers found there was no difference in the amount of vitamins in plant or animal products produced organically and conventionally - and the only nutrient difference was slightly more phosphorous in the organic products.
- Two-Faced Cats And Piebald Peacocks: The Genetics Behind Chimeras And Mosaics
September 04 2012 9:04 AM
Chimeric and mosaic animals have starkly different kinds of cells in their bodies, sometimes resulting in breathtaking displays.
- Griselda Blanco Dead At 69, Godmother Of Cocaine Killed In Columbia; Photos Of The Former Miami-Based Drug Lord
September 04 2012 8:25 AM
Griselda Blanco, a former drug lord for the Medellín Cartel and a pioneer in the Miami-based cocaine drug trade, was gunned down in Columbia by an assassin on Monday.
- Gold Price Update and Outlook
September 04 2012 8:01 AM
Gold edged up to its highest level in more than five months on Tuesday, as lacklustre manufacturing data from around the globe fanned opinion of imminent easing measures from central bank.
- AntiSec Hackers Release 1 Million iOS Device UDIDs Allegedly Obtained By Breaching FBI Laptop
September 04 2012 5:56 AM
Hacker group AntiSec released a set of over 1 million Apple Unique Device Identifiers (UDIDs), which the group claimed to have obtained from a file found on an FBI laptop it allegedly breached in March.
- Infosys Top Executive Quits, Joins Rival Wipro
September 04 2012 2:54 AM
Shaji Farooq, Infosys's financial services head in the U.S. has resigned and has joined rival business group Wipro.
- Windows Phone 8 Release Announced: 4 Features Revealed By Source Close To Microsoft
September 03 2012 1:18 PM
In July Microsoft fans got a glimpse of some back up options set to come with Windows Phone 8 when the SDK leaked, but until now there was no indication of how the options would work. But now, sources close to Microsoft have revealed more information about its plans for Windows Phone 8, reports The Verge.